Creating user flash algorithm options

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Creating user flash algorithm options

Hello, some time ago there was some information on the Segger wiki about the open flashloader if you wanted to create a flash algorithm to use with JFlash. Now I'm seeing it says "not recommended, but still supported", and now we should use Segger Flash Loader, which is part of the expensive J-Link Device Support Kit. Is there really no way to add a device unless you buy this kit? I have a bad feeling that even if open flashloader is supported, it may disappear from JFlash someday.

Specifically, I'm coming from P&E Micro. We use their flash programmer for development and production. We use it for the program flash on NXP Kinetis and Rensas RA devices, but we also use it for programming external memories. They provide enough documentation to show the format for their algorithm files for developing your own algorithms, and using the development tools I wrote our own routines in assembly to initialize the SPI interface and program the external SPI memory. Is there any documentation available to do something similar for JFlash? It's kind of a pain when we're debugging and we have to keep switching back and forth between the two pods to program the external memory with the P&E and then debug using Segger. Unfortunately, the development tools for the Renesas don't support debugging with the P&E.