JLinkGDBServerCL connects, Ozone does not

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JLinkGDBServerCL connects, Ozone does not

NXP LPC54S018 Development board (LPCXpresso54S018)

Using the NXP IDE with my J-Link Plus Compact, I get connection errors, so I thought I'd try with Ozone.

The JLinkGDBServerCL commandline is as follows:

'C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe' -SettingsFile "C:\open\nxp_workspace\lpcxpresso54s018_freertos_hello\Debug\lpcxpresso54s018_freertos_hello JLink Debug SettingsFile.jlink" -nosilent -swoport 2332 -select USB=851001883 -telnetport 2333 -singlerun -endian little -noir -speed 4000 -port 2331 -vd -device LPC54S018 -if SWD -halt -reportuseraction

I've attached the settings file. Running it in PowerShell it sems to connect to the LPC and open a GDB server correctly.

Trying to get it working under Ozone, I set things up as default for the LPC54S018 and get the following error:

Debug.Start();
      Device "LPC54S018" selected.
      Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high.
      Failed to identify target. Resetting via Reset pin and trying again.
      Failed to identify target. Resetting via Reset pin and trying again.
      Connection failed.

How do I set up ozone to match the settings in the SettingsFile?
      Files
    • Hi andrewsglenn,

Could you please provide a J-Link Log file and an Ozone log, both being recorded during the same debug session where you reproduce the issue? Creating a J-Link log is described here: wiki.segger.com/J-Link_DLL#Enable_J-Link_Log_File, creating an Ozone log is described in section 8 of the Ozone user's manual.

I noticed that in your Ozone project file the function _SetupTarget() is never called. Is that intended?

Best regards
      -- AlexD
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • Hi Alex

Please find attached the log file.

> I noticed that in your Ozone project file the function _SetupTarget() is never called. Is that intended?

I used the defaults from the Ozone project wizard. I assumed it set things up correctly for me.

Thank you,

Glenn
      Files
      • JLinkGDBServerCL.log

(13.47 kB, downloaded 96 times, last: )
      • ozone.log

(15.51 kB, downloaded 46 times, last: )
    • Hi andrewsglenn,

you did not provide a J-Link log. The procedure of creating a J-Link log is described in the Wiki article I provided earlier. When recording a J-Link log please also record an Ozone log since both need to be recorded during the same debug session.

The New project wizard does not create functions where the call to _SetupTarget() is commented out. So please double check your Ozone project file for correctness.

You may also have a look at our WIKI article for your device: wiki.segger.com/NXP_LPC54xx.

Best regards
      -- AlexD

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hopefully these are the correct files.

I tried using JLinkCommander to set the default log file generation but apparently I'm too stupid to run it.

I've also regenerated the jdebug file from the project wizard. The only change I made was ad the log file generation.
      Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by andrewsglenn: Changed log files to add ozone.log ().

• Hi Glenn,
      are you sure that both the Ozone log and the J-Link log were recorded in the same debug session, as I requested? I'm asking because in the Ozone log I see "Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high." but cannot find that in the J-Link log.
      Could you please double-check?
      Could you also please check why the TDO line should remain constant high? Maybe your application changes the port configuration for the pin carrying the TDO signal?
      Best regards
      -- AlexD

• Hi Alex,

Strange. I just regenerated them, so hope this helps.

I've added the schematic for the debug connector. My assumption is if they changed the port configuration, then JLinkGDBServerCL would fail to connect?

Glenn
      Images
      • Screenshot 2024-06-05 093728.png

25.44 kB, 464×305, viewed 23 times
      Files
      • ozone.log

(14.88 kB, downloaded 37 times, last: )
      • ozone_jlink_log.log

(3.56 kB, downloaded 93 times, last: )
    • Hi Glenn,

this is a general setup issue which is not related to Ozone. Therefore I will move this thread to the J-Link section in this forum. The colleagues should be able to provide further support.

@J-Link team: Could you please investigate what is going on here?

Best regards
      -- AlexD

• New

Hello,

I noticed that you are using different interfaces with the GDB-Server: SWD, and with Ozone: JTAG.

Could you please try selecting the SWD interface in Ozone?

Best regards,
      Simon

• New

SEGGER - Simon wrote:

Hello,

I noticed that you are using different interfaces with the GDB-Server: SWD, and with Ozone: JTAG.

Could you please try selecting the SWD interface in Ozone?

Best regards,
      Simon
      That was the problem.

I'm an idiot. Sorry. For some reason I assumed it would come up in SWD mode.

I do notice that when I run the application it claims it is running, but when I pause it, it's at the start of ResetISR(), which I assume is the function called by the reset vector.
      If I pause, then do 'Reset program to main' I end up at the start of main() as expected.

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,

Glenn