The SWO Viewer tool doesn't work as intended

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The SWO Viewer tool doesn't work as intended

Hello.

I'm trying to integrate the ITM/SWO support into my project. At first step, I wrote a code required to initialize the hardware and send out the text data. It works more or less fine. Though it still has some issues, at least I see the printouts in the "Terminal" window of the Ozone debugger.

The problem is it is not convenient for the test team to run the complete debugger environment to get the application's printouts, so I tried to use the "JLinkSWOViewer" and "JLinkSWOViewerCL" tools I found in the J-Link software pack. Both doesn't work for me. They do connect to the MCU, I see the data starts to shift out when that happens. But no output is printed.

Conditions are the following:
      • LPC5528JDB64 running at 96MHz;
      • SWO frequency is 48 MHz;
      • test string is "1\r\n";
      • stimulus port is 0.

The "JLinkSWOViewerCL" invoked, prompted to input the name of the MCU and reported the following:

Please select a device for automatic CPU frequency detection.
      Device > LPC5528JBD64

Target CPU (LPC5528JBD64) is running @ 95996 kHz.
      Receiving SWO data @ 49231 kHz.
      Showing data from stimulus port(s): 0
      -----------------------------------------------

Shutting down...

Nothing has been received.

I tried to invoke it with the following arguments to make its operating conditions unambiguous: "-device lpc5528jbd64 -swofreq 48000000". That didn't help:

Target CPU (lpc5528jbd64) is running @ 95996 kHz.
      Receiving SWO data @ 48000 kHz.
      Showing data from stimulus port(s): 0
      -----------------------------------------------

Shutting down...

The GUI version "JLinkSWOViewer" also doesn't work. Plus, attempt to press the "Measure" button silently shuts it down, if one open "Edit - Configure" menu and then press the "Measure" button.

Do I do something wrong, or these tools are just incomplete for the regular use?
    • Hi,
      Sorry for the delay in response.
      We are not aware of any such issue.

Are you using the latest version of the software?
      segger.com/downloads/jlink#J-L…twareAndDocumentationPack
      If so:
      Could you please provide a sample data file (e.g. .hex) this issue is reproducible with on an evaluation board?

This way we can look into this on our side.

Best regards,
      Fabian
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.