[ABANDONED] J-Link GDB Server V7.92o + gdb : Truncated register 16 in remote 'g' packet on Cortect M33

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] J-Link GDB Server V7.92o + gdb : Truncated register 16 in remote 'g' packet on Cortect M33

Hi,

I'm using gdb "(Debian 13.2-1) 13.2" with J-Link GDB Server V7.92o (Windows machine) and I'm getting this error :

Source Code

1. (gdb) target remote remote_machine:2331
    2. Remote debugging using localhost:2331
    3. warning: Architecture rejected target-supplied description
    4. warning: No executable has been specified and target does not support
    5. determining executable automatically. Try using the "file" command.
    6. Truncated register 16 in remote 'g' packet
    Please remote_machine is the IP of Windows machine running J-Link GDB Server.

We were using version 7.58c (old one I know), but it was working perfectly with this one.

Any idea of what is going wrong please ?(

Thank you for your answers.
  • GDB Server sends a XML file to GDB that contains the register indexes GDB Server knows.

For some reason, your GDB rejects this file.
    (1st warning)

Unfortunately, it does not tell GDB Server about this and now both sides may use different register sets (whatever your GDB uses by default).

We test GDB Server with the de facto reference toolchain from ARM and there are no known problems with this one.
    Also, there are no other complaints but plenty of GDB Server users that also use M33 based MCUs now.

If you can provide a reproducer (toolchain, ELF file, …) that allows reproduction on an eval board (not custom hardware!) we can have a look.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you for your answer.

I'm using gdb-multiarch (gdb-arm-none-eabi) from default debian repository. I was always working with previous versions.

It's a custom MCU. I cannot share informations, I'm sorry.

I will give a try with ARM gdb binary from their package.
    Is there a way to show this XML file exchanged between GDB server and GDB ?

Thank you.
  • Hi, I tested with latest ARM on ubuntu 22.04. It's looks not easy to make it run out of the box, but it works with arm-gnu-toolchain-13.2.Rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi.

The post was edited 1 time, last by cgnxp ().

• So this issue is specific to the GDB multiarch in the debian repo it seems?

If you can provide a step-by-step reproducer for an eval board, we will give it a try and check what can be done.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.