[ABANDONED] Terminal does not print data if CRLF is not appended to the end of the line

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Terminal does not print data if CRLF is not appended to the end of the line

Hello.

I had been playing with SWO recently and noticed the issue mentioned in the thread's header. More specifically, the Terminal window needs a character sequence to be terminated with at least LF character to actually display it. If there is no termination at all, or just the CR character, nothing is printed out. The "End Of Line" context menu one get when right-click in the windows has no impact on this behavior.

It is very confusing, especially in the case of the SWO, which is quite complicated feature itself. Actually, it costed me a few days to figure out I have configured the SWO completely fine, but it was the Terminal not displaying characters I was trying to send.

If the Ozone development team is reading this forum, maybe they will fix this issue in the future releases. From my standpoint it is much more logical to print out all characters received and not buffer them until a newline is found.

The Ozone version is 3.30c

Thanks for your attention.
  • Hi GlebPlekhotko,
    thank you for your post. We are aware of that and will provide a fix in one of the next Ozone releases.
    Best regards
    -- AlexD
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you for fast reply, @SEGGER - AlexD. :) I'm looking forward for this fix.

Also I have to note, that behavior of the "Trace Settings" is quite confusing as well. Sometimes it even completely fails to start data acquisition.

For instance. I have a test firmware, which sends the "abcd\r\n" string a few times per second. The SWO frequency is 12MHz. The "Trace Settings" window specifies "Auto" for both CPU and SWO frequencies. When I start the debug session, the console reports me the following:

WO_EnableTarget() start
    - Start: Initializing SWO pin
    - End: Initializing SWO pin
    SWO_EnableTarget() end - Took 830us
    SWO_GetSWOBaseClock() start

SWO_GetSWOBaseClock() end - Took 0us

But nothing is printed to the "Terminal". Data is generated though, I see it with the scope. And bitrate exactly match the 12MHz clock.

To make it work I have to perform the following steps:
    1. Go to the "Trace Settings" window;
    2. Reset the "Auto" checkbox for the "SWO Frequency" and specify the it manually;
    3. press "OK";
    But it works only until the debug session ends. When I restart it, the "Terminal" is silent again. Now I have to perform steps above again, and not "reset" but "set" the "Auto" "SWO Frequency" checkbox. By the way, the frequency value detected and displayed is completely wrong and equals to the 48MHz. The "SWO Viewer" application has similar issues.

For reference, I'm using the LPC5528 MCU running at 96MHz. Though, the maximal SWO frequency is only half of that. There is probably an internal divider somewhere.
  • Hi GlebPlekhotko,
    we are not aware of such issues with the terminal window. Are you able to reproduce the issue on an eval board and provide a reproducer? The reproducer should encompass the ELF file, the Ozone project file and, of course, the information on which eval board this can be reproduced and a step-by-step description of how to reproduce the issue.
    If you are able to provide that information, please open a ticket in our support ticket system.
    Best regards
    -- AlexD
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.