[SOLVED] Failed connect J-Link Edu Mini to Raspberry Pi

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Failed connect J-Link Edu Mini to Raspberry Pi

Recently , I bought a J-Link edu mini.
    Try to connect J-Link edu mini to Raspberry Pi (I have Pi Zero, P3B+), but failed.

Get following error when use Openocd.
    --------------
    Error: JTAG scan chain interrogation failed: all zeroes
    Error: Check JTAG interface, timings, target power, etc.
    --------------

My setup
    Target board: Raspberry Pi3B+
    SW: on target : latest Raspberry PI OS 64bit desktop (from Raspberry PI websit)
    SW: on dev-PC: X86 with latest ubuntu LTS. J-Link Driver installed. Use Openocd.
    Pin config: use "enable_jtag_gpio=1" in /boot/config.txt.
    Use raspi-gpio to check pin status, all JTAG related Pin are correctly configured, All Jtag related pin using Alt 4.
    Pin/wire connection: use pin connection mentioned in forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=286115. Double checked real/physical connection.

Compare to other web page for pin connection, I realized that the "Edu mini" version don't have RTCK pin.
    I don't have too much knowledge for this. no sure whether it's the key block point to make my connection failed.

Overall:
    (I think) the connection between my Dev-PC to J-Link Edu mini --> works fine.
    the connection between J-Link edu mini and target RaspPi --> failed.

Anyone has success experience?
    Whether J-Link Edu Mini could used for Raspberry Pi ?
    Does RTCK important for my case ?

Is there J-Link firmware we can update ?

Any suggestion ?

Or any suggestion for Pin check, I can found a scope or logic analyizer to check the pin/wave status.

The post was edited 1 time, last by yangming ().

• Hi,

RTCK is a relict from ARM7/9 days and only "needed" (more strongly recommended) for the S-cores (e.g. ARM7TDMI-S).
    Currently, the EDU mini does not support ARMv8-A/R based cores & devices.
    This includes the Cortex-A53 / A72 which is used in the Broadcom chips, that are used on the Raspis.
    The information on the net (wiki, website, ...) is currently inconsistent but in the process to be updated.

Long story short: You cannot debug the Cortex-A based Raspis with an EDU mini right now.

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Good news:
    Management decided that the EDU Mini is getting ARMv8-A/R architecture support,
    so Cortex-A53 / A72 / ... will be supported by the EDU mini with the next version (V7.92n), planned for tomorrow (31st Oct.)

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.