[SOLVED] J-Link - Kinetis write protection detected when run from one computer but not another

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link - Kinetis write protection detected when run from one computer but not another

When programming a MKL02Z target from my newer computer using J-Link I get a "Write protection detected" warning and cannot seem to program the processor. Using the same hardware my old computer does not get that message and is able to successfully program the part. relevant information is:
    1) Used J-Link Commander V6.62d on my new computer, then upgraded to V7.88h with no change: both display the write protection message when using the "connect" command.
    2) When using that command, changed the speed from 4MHz to 100kHz in case it was a speed issue
    3) target hardware is self powered and connection is through SWD
    4) J-link Commander version on old laptop is V7.20
    5) Both systems are running Windows10 OS

Screen captures attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich
    Images
    • Desktop_CommanderConnect_1.jpg

922.12 kB, 2,353×1,626, viewed 116 times
    • Desktop_CommanderConnect_2.jpg

376.03 kB, 1,215×985, viewed 119 times
    • Laptop_CommanderConnect.jpg

984.28 kB, 1,502×861, viewed 148 times
  • Hi,

Both Commander screenshots show a successful connection to the chip and no error at all.
    So from the images, no misbehavior can be seen.

The “write protection detected” message may be correct or not. We simply do not know because we do not know the data you programmed into the option bytes of the MKL02Z.
    The reason you do not see the message with V7.20 may be because the dialog did not exist in that version yet.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for the reply, Alex.

"The reason you do not see the message with V7.20 may be because the dialog did not exist in that version yet."
    - I'm not sure I understand the comment - the attached shows that same message on V6.62d.

I agree that it depends upon the data programmed into the option bytes of the MKL02Z, but regardless of how those are programmed I would expect both computers to report the same way since the target hardware is the same: only the computers are switched.

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Images
    • Desktop_CommanderConnect_V6.62d.jpg

426.31 kB, 1,944×968, viewed 99 times
  • Hi,

Actually, it was just a wild guess that you may not see the message with an older version because it may not existed there yet. However, you have proven otherwise.

Your statement „Only the computers are switched“ is not correct, because in your initial post you were using 2 different versions of the J-Link software on the machines, so you actually changed more than only 1 „variable“ in your setup.

Maybe you checked the „remember my decision“ checkbox on your Laptop some time ago and therefore do not see the message on there?
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.