[ABANDONED] Code formatting (Ctrl+K, Ctrl+F) now crash the IDE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Code formatting (Ctrl+K, Ctrl+F) now crash the IDE

Hello,I don't know why, but now the code formatting command crashes the IDE even though it was working a short time ago.
    I tried to update to 6.20a and reverted to 5.68 and 5.64, and now whatever version the command crashes the IDE whatever file I want to format.

I don't know if it was a premise, but for some time the IDE crashed for no reason from time to time (my PC is recent -W10 21H1, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, 32GB-, and I don't see any problem elsewhere).

By the way, (when it will work) is it possible to name your own "format" the same as "gnu", "linux kernel" "LLVM", etc. ?

Best regards
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    I just gave it a try on a example project of ours and everything was working as expected.

Could you provide an example project for reproduction which shows the crash?
    What are the exact reproduction steps?

jlvern wrote:

By the way, (when it will work) is it possible to name your own "format" the same as "gnu", "linux kernel" "LLVM", etc. ?
    You set your own formatting via Tools->Options->Text Editor->Formatting

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello, thank you for your prompt response. I've found !

I had added "JLV" in "Additional Formatting Styles" and when I do that, the IDE crashes when I format the code (and the "Crash Reporter" window too).

For the second point, yes, we can manage to have the formatting that we want, but it would be useful to be able to memorize the different styles modifications under different names.
    For example, imagine that you work with GIT with several colleagues who use different styles. Everyone could agree to do GIT with a given style (GIT_Style for example) and work with their own style the rest of the time, which is difficult to do if you have to change all the formatting parameters every time you do a GIT.
    Of course, nothing prevents making commits by changing formatting style in the meantime, but managing code changes becomes a nightmare!

Best regards,
    Jean-Louis
  • Hi Jean-Louis,

jlvern wrote:

I had added "JLV" in "Additional Formatting Styles" and when I do that, the IDE crashes when I format the code (and the "Crash Reporter" window too).
    Could you provide me a screenshot of your exact setting in Tools->Options->Text Editor->Formatting?
    How did you enable the JLV formatting exactly? Did you supply a file? What did you do exactly?

jlvern wrote:

For example, imagine that you work with GIT with several colleagues who use different styles. Everyone could agree to do GIT with a given style (GIT_Style for example) and work with their own style the rest of the time, which is difficult to do if you have to change all the formatting parameters every time you do a GIT.
    Of course, nothing prevents making commits by changing formatting style in the meantime, but managing code changes becomes a nightmare!
    I get the issue. But you were able to supply the JLV formatting to ES, correct?
    So what is stopping you from sharing that format with your colleagues?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.