[SOLVED] / [ABANDONED] J-Link V5.10d Internal Error while trying to start debug session

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] / [ABANDONED] J-Link V5.10d Internal Error while trying to start debug session

Hello.
    I just bought Atmel AT91SAM9X5-EK board and Atmel SAM-ICE debug probe (OEM version of J-Link, sold by Atmel). Using Keil uVision 5 created my first project - tiny LED blinker, compiled it successfully, trying to start debug session. But it doesn't start because of messages about J-Link internal errors: First one is "Could not find breakpoint in internal list", the second one is "Illegal breakpoint handle (0x0001)" and then "Connection to JLink lost. Shutting down debug session."

Command window log:

Source Code

1. Running with Code Size Limit: 32K
    2. ProjectFile = D:\Workspace\embedded\temp\nsam9x\JLinkArm_Target 1.ini
    3. Info: Device "AT91SAM9X25" selected.
    4. Device = SAM9X25
    5. Info: Device "AT91SAM9X25" selected.
    6. VTarget = 3.287V
    7. Info: TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01
    8. Info: CP15.0.0: 0x41069265: ARM, Architecure 5TEJ
    9. Info: CP15.0.1: 0x1D152152: ICache: 16kB (4*128*32), DCache: 16kB (4*128*32)
    10. Info: Cache type: Separate, Write-back, Format C (WT supported)
    11. Info: RTCK reaction time is approx. 126ns
    12. Info: Auto JTAG speed: Adaptive
    13. Info: J-Link: ARM9 CP15 Settings changed: 51078 from 78, MMU Off, ICache On, DCache Off
    14. Info: CP15.0.0: 0x41069265: ARM, Architecure 5TEJ
    15. Info: CP15.0.1: 0x1D152152: ICache: 16kB (4*128*32), DCache: 16kB (4*128*32)
    16. Info: Cache type: Separate, Write-back, Format C (WT supported)
    17. DLL version V5.10d, compiled Dec 9 2015 12:49:14
    18. Firmware: J-Link ARM V8 compiled Aug 26 2015 15:08:21
    19. Hardware: V8.00
    20. Hardware-Breakpoints: 2
    21. Software-Breakpoints: 8192
    22. Watchpoints: 0
    23. Found 1 JTAG device, Total IRLen = 4:
    24. Id of device #0: 0x0792603F
    25. ARM9 identified.
    26. Using adaptive clocking instead of fixed JTAG speed.
    27. S/N : (cut off)
    28. OEM : SAM-ICE
    29. Feature(s) : RDI, GDB
    30. ETM support, Trace buffer size: 0KB
    31. VTarget = 3.280V
    32. Info: CP15.0.0: 0x41069265: ARM, Architecure 5TEJ
    33. Info: CP15.0.1: 0x1D152152: ICache: 16kB (4*128*32), DCache: 16kB (4*128*32)
    34. Info: Cache type: Separate, Write-back, Format C (WT supported)
    35. JTAG speed: 1000 kHz
    36. Load "D:\\Workspace\\embedded\\temp\\nsam9x\\Objects\\nsam9x.axf"
    37. *** Restricted Version with 32768 Byte Code Size Limit
    38. *** Currently used: 728 Bytes (2%)
    39. Info: CP15.0.0: 0x41069265: ARM, Architecure 5TEJ
    40. Info: CP15.0.1: 0x1D152152: ICache: 16kB (4*128*32), DCache: 16kB (4*128*32)
    41. Info: Cache type: Separate, Write-back, Format C (WT supported)
    42. JTAG speed: 1000 kHz
    43. BS \\nsam9x\main.c\10
    44. ***JLink Error: Bad JTAG communication: Write to IR: Expected 0x1, got 0x0 (TAP Command : 2) @ Off 0x5.
    Display All

Any suggestions how to solve this problem?
  • Hi,

thanks for your inquiry.
    Please be aware that neither Atmel SAM-ICE nor Keil uVision 5 is a SEGGER product.

Could you provide is with a complete J-Link Logfile of an (attempted) debug session?
    Log output can be enabled like as follows:
    • Open a connection to J-Link, e.g start J-Link Commander
    • In J-Link Control Panel: (Click the J-Link symbol located in the notification / tray area in order to open J-Link Control panel)
    • Open the tab "Settings"
    • Next to the field "Log file" check "Override" and click "..." in order to choose a log file path.

This is also described in UM8001 Chapter 5 "Working with J-Link and J-Trace", Section 5.7 "J-Link control panel" .

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Here is the log:

Source Code

1. T07C8 004:066 SEGGER J-Link V5.10d Log File (0018ms, 3509ms total)
    2. T07C8 004:066 DLL Compiled: Dec 9 2015 12:49:14 (0018ms, 3509ms total)
    3. T07C8 004:066 Logging started @ 2015-12-17 19:03 (0018ms, 3509ms total)
    4. T07C8 004:066 JLINK_ClrBPEx(BPHandle = 0x00000001) >0x2F8 JTAG>TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01 >0x30 JTAG> >0x210 JTAG> >0x58 JTAG> >0x58 JTAG> >0x18 JTAG> >0x88 JTAG> >0x48 JTAG> >0x1A0 JTAG> >0x48 JTAG> >0x910 JTAG> >0x70 JTAG> >0x90 JTAG>CP15.0.0: 0x41069265: ARM, Architecure 5TEJ >0x90 JTAG>CP15.0.1: 0x1D152152: ICache: 16kB (4*128*32), DCache: 16kB (4*128*32)Cache type: Separate, Write-back, Format C (WT supported) -- Detecting speed: - RTCK reaction time is approx. 126ns
    5. RTCK reaction time is approx. 126ns - 2380kHz: >0x78 JTAG> O.K. -- Auto JTAG speed: AdaptiveAuto JTAG speed: Adaptive >0x08 JTAG> >0x3F0 JTAG> >0x10 JTAG> >0x48 JTAG> -- CPU is running
    6. ***** Internal Error: Could not find breakpoint in internal list. >0x48 JTAG> >0x1A0 JTAG> >0x48 JTAG> >0x910 JTAG> >0x80 JTAG> >0x10 JTAG>
    7. ***** Error: Illegal breakpoint handle (0x0001) >0x3F0 JTAG> returns 0x01 (2548ms, 6039ms total)
    8. T07C8 008:651 JLINK_Close() >0x08 JTAG> (0005ms, 6044ms total)
    9. T07C8 008:651 (0005ms, 6044ms total)
    10. T07C8 008:651 Closed (0005ms, 6044ms total)
  • Hi,

is this the complete Logfile?
    If yes, this looks to me like an IDE error.
    Clearing a breakpoint which has not been set in the first place and then calling JLINK_Close()
    without ever calling open() or any other initialization before JLINK_ClrBPEx() seems plain wrong to me.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

Yes, that was compete log file. I tried to install old version of Keil, and it leaded to the same result. Also I tried different reset strategies, when "No Reset" strategy is chosen, debug session is started, but I can not define any breakpoint in c-code area, only in assembler area. Almost useless.
    Don't know what to think, if it is a problem of Keil IDE. Don't believe nobody got the same problem earlier. :(

I also have a way to get IAR J-Link with evaluation version of IAR, so I will try it that way.
  • Hi,

feel free to provide us with your Keil project, so we can take a look at it.

Basically, the following happens:
    • IDE -> J-Link: Clear Breakpoint 0x01
    • J-Link -> IDE: A BP with the handle 0x01 does not exist
    • IDE quits the session
    Why the IDE quits at this point I cannot tell you, it is not necessary.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

I have tried IAR and it works good without any problem with the same probe and the same code. So I think I will stay with it for the time being. Nevertheless, I attached the Keil project, so if you got some time, I would like to know if is it buggy software or some my fault in project settings. Thank you for your help!

newsam9x.zip
  • Hello,
    i nearly have the same problem which is described here. In the past I used µVision 4 and the Segger J-Link EDU with no problems. After I updated to µVision 5 and the automatic firmware update of the J-Link I have that issue. I tried to install the newest J-Link software pack for Windows V5.10n with no success. The only difference is that now the message "Could not find breakpoint in internal list" isn’t displayed. After start “run” it ends with "Connection to JLink lost. Shutting down debug session." Even now under µVision 4 there happened strange things. I only can use single steps and after some steps it crash with the same message.

Maybe you can test the program from shengsu above and give me an advice how to solve that problem.

Thanks,
    Regards

The post was edited 1 time, last by questioner ().

• Hi,

what target are you using? Could provide us with a reproduction project?
    Shengsu is using a AT91SAM9X25 device which has not internal flash, and his project does not work for me at all...

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi,

I have a similar problem with an AduC7060 from AnalogDevice.

I can definitly say, the problem ist Segger related, as the same hardware is working with the same debugger on another PC. the only difference is that I have the latest driver installed.

While starting the debug I receive the Following Error:

***JLink Error: Bad JTAG communication: Write to IR: Expected 0x1, got 0x2 (TAP Command : 12) @ Off 0x13.

Deactivating the Option "Run to main()" allowed me to enter debugging. But Running always caused the previous error.

Debugging the Assembler showed he is jumping to 0x00000000 after this:

IMPORT __main
    LDR R0, =__main
    BX R0

As I said previously the code is working on another PC. It's also strange that i can set Breakpoints in assembler but the debugger is not holding there.

I'm running out of ideas so I would love to hear any suggestions what I might have set up wrong.

In Addition: I tried some example projects from Keil with the same result as with my code.... so I doubt it code related.

Edit:
    Some further information. I can step throught the disassembly step by step, even throught the user code till (and including) the infinite loop. But I cannot autorun or use debug points. It seems He cannot stop the controller one i let it go.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Eitum ().

• Hi,

thanks for your inquiry.
    the only difference is that I have the latest driver installed.

Are you referring to the J-Link software & documentation pack?
    If so, could you tell us which version is working for you (other PC) and which is not (current PC)?

I tried some example projects from Keil with the same result as with my code.... so I doubt it code related.

Can you point me to an example which can be used to reproduce the issue with an AduC70xx device?

Best regards,
    Niklas

• I attached my project as well as my Keil information.

I eliminated the driver as cause by managing to get the same as on the other pc installed and all other removed.

The project is currently quiet simple and is used with the eval board EVAL-ADuC7060 Rev A1.

As we're now talking about the standard installation of keil together with an eval board I believe the problem might be in the integration in keil.
    I enver expected such problems with Segger hardware before.

The J-Link is a branded one from Analog Devices: mIDAS-Link.
    Images
    • Keil.PNG

16.29 kB, 502×253, viewed 877 times
    Files
  • Hi,

I am sorry, but I cannot reproduce the issue here.
    I can step, run to breakpoints etc... without any problem.

I can definitly say, the problem ist Segger related, as the same hardware is working with the same debugger on another PC. the only difference is that I have the latest driver installed.

I eliminated the driver as cause by managing to get the same as on the other pc installed and all other removed.

Do I understand you correctly, that your setup is working on another PC with the same Debugger and same target?

Best regards,
    Niklas

• yes you are right, the same setup is working on another PC without problems.

Using another kind of debugger (competitor) it worked straight out of the box. It seems to be a driver issue, or at least a setting in keil caused by the latest driver.
  • Hi,

@Eitum
    It looks like the J-Link is o.k, but the communication between J-Link and Target is faulty. (e.g faulty cable, insufficient voltage level driver of the JTAG pins,.......)
    Could you please post a screenshot of a debug session with J-Link Commander?
    Example Steps:
    • Start J-Link Commander (jlink.exe)
    • Type "connect" in order to start a debug session
    • Type in the Device name if asked (ADuC7060)
    • Choose the correct target interface (JTAG)
    • Speed should be <= 200 for this session
    • JTAG conf can be auto
    • You should now be successfully connected.
    • It should now be possible to use the following commands:
    • "s" (Single Step)
    • "r" (Reset)
    • "h" (Halt)
    • "g" (Go)
    @jmag99
    What kind of problems are you experiencing ?
    Do the 2 J-Link still work at all?

Best regards,
    Niklas