[ABANDONED] Unable to detect nRF51822 device

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Unable to detect nRF51822 device

I just started working with J-link and had a problem detecting my device in SW mode. The device is an nRF51822 series chip on a custom board.
    I`m using Keil uVision 5.16a on windows. I`ve updated the J-link driver to the latest version I found here: segger.com/jlink-software.html
    I use the following settings for the debugger:
    Perhaps I`ve missed something or the software I`m using is not working properly?
    A collegue advised me to check the voltage on pin 1 of the connector and that it has to be above 3V. I did so, and it is above 3V. Can anyone confirm that this is sufficient?
    I also found this topic on the forum:

http://forum.segger.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2046

There it says the issue was resolved through regular support, can anyone elaborate on what that solution was?

Any input is appreciated. :)

Best regards,

Nedko
  • Hi Nedko,

If possible, could you check with an eval board instead of custom hardware?
    Could you start J-Link Commander (jlink.exe) and post the output here?

The solution of the other case was the following:
    After replacing the Nordice BLE chip in our board, it is getting detected.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • J-link commander output

Hello Niklas,

Unfortunately I don`t have an evaluation board available at the moment, but I`ll see what I can do, possibly next Tuesday I can get one. But even so I do not think the problem is in the hardware since the platform was programmed before by the previous guy who worked on this project.

The output of the commander:
    I kept prompting me to switch between SWD and JTAG interface, none of which worked.

PS: In the meantime I also checked the connectors and cables I`m using and they are all fine.
  • Hello Nedko,

it seems like you have mixed an old J-Link Commander (V498) with the current DLL (V502f).
    While I do not think that causes this issue, could you please repeat this with a current J-Link Commander version?
    Furthermore, i would suggest to check whether 3V are sufficient or if 3.3V are mandatory.

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nedko,

"Target interface voltage (VIF) 1.2V ... 5V" according to this document (page 28 )

the document states that a J-Link is fine with voltages from 1.2V-5V as interface voltage.
    However, my intention was to check which Voltage the target requires to work properly.
    While it is not impossible that your target device (MCU) requires a 3.0V power supply, it seems a little bit unsual.
    3.3V seems more likely. Please consult the manual of the MCU.

About the voltage shown in J-Link Commander:

The voltage shown in J-Link Commander is the voltage measured between VTref and Ground.
    This all depends on the board.
    The board is getting powered from somewhere, converts the voltage and then passes it to to MCU, and hopefully uses the same power line to supply the JTAG pins.
    J-Link has no chance to determine if the voltage reported over JTAG is the same that powers the MCU (as it should be).

Best regards,
    Niklas

• voltage stuff

Hi Niklas,

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes the voltage is fine for the controller as well. supply voltage range is stated as 1.8v to 3.6V here (page 38, table 20):

file:///C:/Users/devlab/Downloads/nRF51822_PS%20v3.1%20(2).pdf

Also states typical voltage is 3V... a little odd, I know, but it is the case. The whole board works on 3V so the power reported is the same as the MCU.

Also whatever the last guy uploaded to the MCU still runs fine, so I don`t think it`s the power to the target.

Best regards,
    Nedko
  • Hi Nedko,

2 suggestions on how to proceed left:

- How did you colleague program the board?
    - Waiting for the evalboard. If it works with the evalboard, sth. is wrong with the custom hardware.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi Niklas,

Thanks for your help. I had more or less the same idea, but I`ve been unable to get in contact with the previous engineer that worked on this and the eval board is on the way.

When I find a solution I`ll post it here in case it helps someone else with a similar problem.

Best regards,
    Nedko