QSPI parallel mode flash programming support for Vybrid Cortex-A5 devices

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• QSPI parallel mode flash programming support for Vybrid Cortex-A5 devices

Hi,

I have seen in JLINK release notes that
    1. DLL/J-Flash: QSPI flash programming support for Vybrid Cortex-A5 devices added.
    2. DLL/J-Flash: QSPI parallel mode flash programming support for Vybrid Cortex-A5 devices added.

I am working on QSPI Parallel Mode Flash support on Vybrid Cortex A5 board. Without Parallel mode, I am successfully programming the image and my board is booting.

For enabling QSPI Parallel Mode, What should I do for programming the image?

I have JLINK Pro. version 4.3
    Firmware version is 4.98e.
    For JFlash, I am using VF6xx_A5.jflash file.

Should I use different Jflash file?
    Should I change Jflash file for parallel mode?

How can I instruct the JFlash to enable Parallel Mode?

Regards
  • Hi,

You have to select "Freescale VF6xx_A5_ParallelMode" as target device in the J-Flash project settings (CPU -> Device).
    In the sample project, it is pre-configured to "VF6xx_A5".

- Erik
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • QSPI parallel mode flash programming support for Vybrid Cortex-A5 devices

Hi,

I have tested by changing the chip name in .jflash device as "Freescale VF6xx_A5_ParallelMode" but the device does not boot.
    When I change the QSPI Boot configuration parameter to Parallel Mode enabled, it does not work/boot.
    JFlash works well in non parallel mode (single mode) but does not work in parallel mode.

Can we expect Parallel QSPI mode support in JFlash for Cortex A5 in near future?

Regards
  • Hi,

Parallel mode is already supported in J-Flash. Did you make sure that programmed data file contains a valid header and application? Booting in parallel mode is some kind of tricky. During boot process, the Vybrid boot loader reads back the header from the QSPI in single SPI mode. Depending on the header, the Vybrid reads / executes the application either in single or parallel SPI mode.

Therefore, for booting in parallel SPI mode on the Freescale Vybrid device, you have to make sure that:
    a) a valid header is programmed in single mode
    b) a valid application is programmed in parallel mode at the application start address used by the boot loader

Further / detailed information about the boot process in parallel mode can be found here:
    community.freescale.com/thread/309037

Please find attached a sample data file which has been built for the TWR-VF65GS10 Vybrid board. It contains a valid header + application to boot from parallel flash. Simply program the data file using J-Flash or J-Link Commander (device: VF6xx_A5_ParallelMode).

Best regards
    Erik
    Files
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.