After loading bootflash.bin I do not see the startup screen

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• After loading bootflash.bin I do not see the startup screen

I have a Phytec LPC3180 board that came with both IAR and the Linux BSP.
    I followed the instructions in the Linux quickstart quide.
    The first step of loading bootflash.bin is supposed to be followed by a menu appearing in the terminal menu, but it doesn't happen.
    Examining my Jlink output and that show in the quickstart guide shows a few differences e.g. the info line after the line
    Reset Type Normal
    Info: J-Link: ARM9 ....
    does not appear
    Neither does the line "Info: Resetting target using RESET pin" appear.
    I examined memory at address 0x08000000 and it is the same as the contents of bootflash.bin
    I manually executed the commands from the load_bootflash.jlink script but still nothing appears on the terminal screen.
    Executing jlink.exe without parameters shows the serial number of the jlink and the ARM core id, so in theory the j-link is working OK.
    This has got me tearing my hair out (or it would if I had any).
    Insight and help gratefully appreciated.
  • Hello henryd,

we had a similar support case a few months ago, so I think know where the problem is:

The first thing the program does is perform a branch to 0x3c.
    The program expects the RAM to be mapped to 0 as well.
    Unfortunately, this is not the default after RESET; per default,
    ROM is located at this address which causes the program to crash.

Simply add one line to the script file, making it look as follows:

rx 0
    speed 1000
    w4 40004014,1 // Map RAM to 0
    loadbin bootflash.bin, 8000000
    setpc 8000000
    g

Can you confirm that this solves the problem?

Best regards,
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for the prompt reply and I'll try out your method a.s.a.p

Meanwhile...

The instructions in the Phytec quickstart guide tells you to download the latest JLink driver from Segger, which I did and got version D. This one gave me problems.

Next I noticed that the IAR disk has its own copy of the JLink driver, version B. I tried that but had no luck.

I then downloaded version C and, bingo, it works!
  • I ran into the same problem with the same dev board today after a long time away from the hardware and a switch from Windows to Linux-with-VMWare-with-Windows for my development environment. I feared the worst but was happy to stumble across this change with just a little browsing. And it works!

Thanks!