JFlash SPIFI support

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JFlash SPIFI support

Hello,

according to the website's "news" of jan. 14, J-Link supports NXP's SPIFI flash programming interface for LPC18xx from version 4.60 onwards.
    How can I use this feature? I didn't find anything in my J-Flash software (4.68). Is it possible to use the SPIFI interface of LPC4078, too?

Thanks,

Steffen
  • Hi,

SPIFI is somewhat implemented in a special way since it is not really like external NOR flash which can be handled the same way on different devices (only the init differs).
    For SPIFI also the algorithm is specific, since for example SPIFI on Freescale Vybrid devices needs other register to be read & written than on NXP parts.
    SPIFI is implemented as "internal flash" in J-Flash.
    We have not added sample projects for SPIFI yet.
    Please find attached one for the LPC1850 which can be used with V4.68.

Currently SPIFI is not supported for LPC18xx devices which also provide internal flash. This is planned for a future version since it requires some major DLL internal changes.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

Could you give an update as to when support for SPIFI on parts with internal flash might be rolled out?

We are currently using an LPC4357 (same internal structures as the LPC1857, but with cortex M4/M0 cores) and would like to use the SPIFI flash as storage for large bitmap files while executing out of the internal flash, but are struggling to find a way to program the devices using our J-Links.
  • Hi,

Sorry, I can still not give you a schedule yet.
    There are currently too many other high priority J-Link related projects that need to be handled first.
    If you need something very urgently, please get in touch with segger.com/support/technical-support/ directly, so we can see what we can do for you.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• JFlash SPIFI Support

There is an earlier post referring to an attached file that would provide access to the SPIFI Flash for a NXP CPU, but I don't see any link on the forum that leads to the file. Is the file only available to the original recipient of that answer or is there some other way to get access to that file. I am trying to use the Segger software for the NXP LPC-Link-2 JTAG system on an LPC4337 system and without the ability to program Flash, I'm not really able to make any progress.
  • Hi,

The LPC-Link-2 must not be used with J-Flash.
    J-Flash is a production programming software and using the LPC-Link-2 J-Link firmware for production programming is prohibited...

For the LPC4337 currently only programming of the internal flash is supported. Programming of SPIFI flash
    is currently supported for LPC18xx and LPC43xx flashless devices only.
    This is going to be changed in a future version of the software but requires big internal changes of the J-Link software.

- Alex

• OK I understand that I can't use the LPC-Link-2 for production and I have no problem with that at all, however, as i understand it, I can use the LPC-Link2 with the J-link software for development.

What I want to do is load a program into the SPIFI so that I can debug it. If I can't use J-Flash for that, how can I program the SPIFI flash. Currently the device I am using is flashless, but I have the same question about loading a program into the Internal flash.

Stan