"Error: Supply voltage too low" with J-Link and BeagleBoard

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "Error: Supply voltage too low" with J-Link and BeagleBoard

Hello,
    I've tried to use J-Link to flash BeagleBoard rev.B4 with cpu OMAP3530 (Cortex a8 core).
    On PC I have Ubuntu 11.10 so I installed drivers for jlink on linux (use V4.41g).
    But after installing, connecting to board and runnig JLinkExe i take this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.41g ('?' for help)
    Compiled Jan 27 2012 19:11:22

****** Error: Could not save file [Default.ini]
    Invalid file handle!

DLL version V4.41g, compiled Jan 27 2012 19:11:21
    Firmware: J-Link ARM V8 compiled Jan 12 2012 20:43:19
    Hardware: V8.00
    S/N: 58001333
    Feature(s): RDI, FlashBP, FlashDL, JFlash, GDB
    VTarget = 0.957V

****** Error: Supply voltage too low (1 Volt is required, Measured: 0.9 Volt).
    Please check target power.
    No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.

WARNING: RESET (pin 15) high, but should be low. Please check target hardware.

No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.

No devices found on JTAG chain. Trying to find device on SWD.

WARNING: RESET (pin 15) high, but should be low. Please check target hardware.
    No device found on SWD.
    Did not find any core.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as I see there problem with with supply voltage on pin 1.

But I used this Jlink with board LPC2138 while working on PC with Windows and it works great. So I think its not a problem with JLink.
    I havent opportunity to try use beagleboard on windows, so I need solve this problem on ubuntu.

Can it be related with drivers for jlink? Or its problem in target board?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MrTea ().

• Hi,

0.957V is definitely to low as target reference voltage.
    Sounds like a target hardware problem to me.

Not exactly sure on what voltage the JTAG interface of the OMAP3530 is running,
    but it is definitely higher than 0.957V...

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Finally I think I found out what problem occured.

Jlink uses standard ARM 20-pin JTAG interface, Beagleboard 14-pin JTAG, so I use 14/20 pin JTAG converter to connect it.
    But beagleboard uses not classic ARM jtag. Board comes with a 14 pin TI JTAG connector, so they have different pinout.

Fortunately, it isn't fried my board and it's still working.
  • Hi,

Yes, most TI Cortex-A based boards come with a 14-pin TI JTAG connector.
    We also offer adapters for such boards: segger.com/jlink-adapters.html#TI

So, it seems you simply connected the J-Link via the ARM 14-pin Adapter (or some self-made adapter), which has a different pinout, to the board
    which made things to NOT work correctly. So I think we can close this thread for now.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.