J-Link GDB Server and Eclipse DS-5 environment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link GDB Server and Eclipse DS-5 environment

Hi.

I have a problem with the ARM DS-5 debugger (in the Eclipse IDE).

When i try to connect it with the J-link GDBServer, an error message is displayed:

"Unable to connect: The version of the gdbserver being used does not provide full thread support. Please update gdbserver to v6.8 or later".

How can I fix this?

Thanks.
  • Hi,

The message you get comes from ARM DS-5/Eclipse, not from the J-Link Software.

Full thread support should not be needed to debug on embedded targets,
    so we do not know why ARM DS-5 needs it.

Unfortunately we do not have ARM DS-5 here, so we cannot test it now.
    Maybe you can get help for this from ARM or their forums.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Some additional input from my side:
    We will check if we can get a ARM DS-5 license in order to check what needs to be done to get it working with JLink GDBServer.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,

Some additional input from my side:
    We will check if we can get a ARM DS-5 license in order to check what needs to be done to get it working with JLink GDBServer.

Best regards
    Alex

Hi,

I would like to ask if anything became clear about DS-5 support for J-Link. I have got the same problems as tch.

Thanks

Matthew
  • Hi,

It has been some time...

first the bad news:
    DS-5 via GDBServer: Forget it... But it is not a J-Link problem, more a problem on the DS-5 side. DS-5 is not designed to work with a GDB stub for embedded low-level debugging. It expects a fully-featured GDB running on the target OS. So it is more designed to debug your application running under the target OS, via the target OS, than the target itself. Poor design of DS-5...

Now the good news:
    We are working on J-Link RDDI support for DS-5. RDDI is a new debug API interface specified by ARM. This interface is used by DS-5 to access the debug probe. Basically, we already have it running with a specific target, but some things are still missing to make it running generic, with any target supported by J-Link.
    We expect to have the work completed during Q1/2014 (probably end of Q1).

RDDI support should be more than sufficient as replacement for GDBServer support for DS-5.
    Keep you guys posted.

Best regards
    Alex