[SOLVED] Debugging session with Jlink in Eclipse enviroment is not reliable

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debugging session with Jlink in Eclipse enviroment is not reliable

Hi all,
    I'm working on a Discovery board STM32F4 with jlink+ARM Eclipse plugin+ Eclipse Luna 4.4.0 + GNU Arm toolchain.
    My OS is Opensuse 13.1.

Jlink worked fine for a while, but now sometimes the debugging initialization process fails: no resume/suspend/terminate menu button are available and the cpu doesn't start.
    JlinkGDBserver and other GDB thread doesn't write out to console no warning or error message.

To solve it I simply restart my systems with jlink usb cable connected; then it start to work for 1-2 hours till the same problem reappears.
    I have update all Jlink software but the problem persists.

Plese help me.
    Stefano
  • I know that my problem is quite unusual, but anyone has encountered the same issue?
    It could be an hardware one?
    _ jlink debugger broken
    _ cable and contact not reliable

Or software:
    _ udev, os tricks
    _ eclipse
    _ arm plugin
    _ JlinkGDBserver limitations

Or firmware:
    _ some code interrupt stops debug communication

Suggestions are welcome

Thanks
    Stefano
  • Hello Stefano,

When J-Link GDB Server starts and is able to connect to the target, J-Link and target seem to be working.
    When J-Link GDB Server is waiting for a connection, it is started correctly, too.

Usually GDB Server and GDB print any output when they receive a command.

To have a look if the communication between GDB and GDB Server or GDB Server and J-Link hangs,
    could you post a GDB Server logfile of a session where this problem occures?
    The other possibility is that the communication between GDB and Eclipse did not work correctly.

The logfile can be set in the debugger settings of the eclipse plugin.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Stefano,

When you see this issue (Eclipse debug session cannot be started anymore),
    what happens if you try J-Link Commander afterwards?
    Is it still able to detect the J-Link + target (without restarting your system)?

Which version of the J-Link software are you using?

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• @Rigomate:
    Hi,
    my Debugger init reset is on. If the problem reappears I'll try to deselect it. Thanks for that suggestion.

@Alex
    Hi,
    no Eclipse error windows appears, just it stops during initialization process. Eclipse remain active and CPU does not overworks.
    I use JLinkExe 4.92 in linux enviroment and If the problem reappears I'll execute that command to retreive informations. Thanks!

@Johannes
    Hi,
    attachments contains two log file. I hope they contain the right info.

Thank all
    Stefano
    Files

The post was edited 6 times, last by Fano ().

• Hi all,
    _ unsetting Initial Reset and Halt flag does not have any effect
    _ JLinkExe gives me the same infomration ( see attachments )

Image of how eclipse stops is posted.

Sob...

Stefano
    Images
    • screen.png

272.68 kB, 1,920×1,045, viewed 1,370 times
    Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fano ().

• Hi Stefano,

So far the GDB Server log and the JLinkExe output look good.
    The log shows that GDB Server is behaving correctly and despite from some different memory and register values both logs look identical.
    It also shows that GDB Server sends the response for the last received command.

Since JLinkExe can communicate with J-Link and the target and GDB Server behaves identical,
    it looks like there is a problem with eclipse or GDB which refuse to work correctly anymore.

Best regards
    Johannes

• hi Stefano,

Thank you for sharing the bug information.

Since there is no problem on the J-Link side, I will mark the thread as solved
    and hope there will be a fix in Eclipse, soon.

Best regards
    Johannes