Programmatic reset of ARM Cortex-M4 through J-Link Plus

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Programmatic reset of ARM Cortex-M4 through J-Link Plus

New

I've written a custom manufacturing programming tool for ARM Cortex-M4 nRF52832 and nRF52810 devices. It uses a J-Link Plus USB programmer (J-Link V7.98g) and is implemented in Python using the Pylink package. The program configures J-Link to use SWD and connects to the target with chip_name 'nRF52832_xxAA' or 'nRF52810_xxAA', allowing the FICR device id and UICR information to be read.

I have a problem resetting the processor programmatically from Python. The Pylink reset() function does something, but does not trigger required Cortex M4 normal (0) reset sequence (wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Reset_Strategies#Type_0:_Normal) and (wiki.segger.com/J-Link_script_files#Reset_sequences). I've tried setting the reset strategy through Pylink and through J-Link command strings (wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Command_Strings). Strangely, if my program exits and disconnects from the J-Link DLL while the J-Link is still physically connected, the correct target processor reset is triggered.

I've seen that the J-Flash Start Application (F9) function performs a correct reset of the Cortex-M4 target processor, logging;
      - Reset: Halt core after reset via DEMCR.VC_CORERESET.
      - Reset: Reset device via AIRCR.SYSRESETREQ.
      These messages match those in the SEGGER example CortexM reset script (wiki.segger.com/images/8/86/Ex…ortexM_Normal.JLinkScript).

The J-Link ARM DLL allows the reset behaviour to be customised by overriding the DLL ResetTarget() implementation with a script, but I have not been able to get this to work. It seems that should not be necessary if the J-Link DLL implements the normal Cortex M4 reset strategy.

I haven't tried exec()'ing J-Flash or J-Commander from within my program to achieve the correct reset. I understand this would require a second connection to J-Link DLL which is not supported.

Any help or advice on how to solve this would be appreciated.
    • New

After further investigation, I've confirmed that "nrfjprog --reset" is doing the same reset as J-Flash. I'm looking for the device to go into low power mode after programming (~2uA at 3v). It does after J-Flash (F9) but not after my programmatic reset.

The difference seems to be that my application has the J-Link DLL open (pylink.readthedocs.io/en/lates…l#pylink.jlink.JLink.open) while performing the reset. The reset occurs, but the J-Link DLL then forces the device back to a higher power state (~3mA at 3v). If the program closes the J-Link DLL before reset, the low power state is achieved. If I close my Python application while the J-Link probe is connected, the device is automatically reset and drops into the low power state.

I do not think this is a Pylink issue. I can recreate the same effect using J-Flash and J-Link. I think the J-Link DLL behaviour is the root cause, but that J-Flash operates in such a way as to avoid or workaround the behaviour.
      I believe I can now refactor my Python application to work around the J-Link DLL behaviour. I'll post here with the outcome once I've confirmed that.