[SOLVED] Debug terminal...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debug terminal...

I have successfully gotten a "Hello world" application to run on my MAX32655FTHR and send output to the debug terminal within Embedded Studio. Is it possible to deactivate the internal terminal and use

Source Code

1. screen /dev/tty??? <baud>
    from a console bash prompt instead?
  • As an update here, I still have seen output from a SES-flashed board only in the debug terminal inside the studio - not in a bash-opened screen console.

On the other hand, I can flash a sample program with the Maxim SDK, and that output shows up on a console opened with 'screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200' immediately, and every time I hit reset it starts over. That's the behavior I'm going for - I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the same point with Segger Studio.

There's probably just some setting that I need to change somewhere - I'm searching around whenever I have a few minutes.
  • Ok, I think I understand what's going on now. I found a description of "Real Time Transfer," which talks about printfs being re-routed away from the UART so that they're serviced by the debugger instead.

I can't figure out how to disable that, though. Working on it.
  • Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

By default RTT is used for any debug input and output.
    In case another I/O type should be used instead you may configure the Library I/O project option.

You can find more information regarding this here: wiki.segger.com/Embedded_Studio_Library_IO

Best regards,
    Sebastian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you Sebastian. My current impression is that if I want my application to send printf() output through the UART (and get input from the UART), I'll need to implement that explicitly, along the lines described in the "none" option of the page you linked? I ultimately plan to write my own UART code anyway, so that would likely be a nice warm-up exercise.

By the way, I think we can mark this issue SOLVED.

Thanks again!
    Kip
  • Correct, you need to supply your own UART implementation as the specifics are hardware-dependent.

Happy coding!
    Sebastian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.