[SOLVED] I don't see my Segger J-Link Compact in Connected Devices in the nRF Connect VSCode add-in when connected

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] I don't see my Segger J-Link Compact in Connected Devices in the nRF Connect VSCode add-in when connected

I just received my J-Link Plus compact and connected it to computer and PineTime DK, but in VS Code using nRF Connect I don't see it listed under Connected Devices. When I unplug it and plug in my nRF52DK and hit refresh the board appears. Whey doesn't the J-Link?

I am using VS Code with nRF Connect and trying to connect to a PineTime with a J-Link Plus Compact, but am getting this message in vscode:

The connections look like this, which all seem correct:

I connected through the ncs desktop programmer app and got these message:

19:16:05.842      Target device closed
    19:16:09.514      Using @nordicsemiconductor/nrf-device-lib-js to communicate with target via JLink
    19:16:09.515      JLink OB firmware version
    19:16:09.516      Device family
    19:16:09.517      Device version
    19:16:09.518      Board version
    19:16:09.519      Loading readback protection status for Application core
    19:16:10.440      Failed to load readback protection status: async task failure for id: 17894705655 msg: [jlink] LOW_VOLTAGE (Origin: "Error when running operation: protection-get")

I have been able to flash the PineTime using OpenOCD and a ST-Link v2 but want debugging.

The post was edited 1 time, last by lj001 ().

• As you are using a product from NordicSemi (nRF Connect) that seems to have problems with non-OB J-Links (so non-on-board) variants,
    you may better check with NordicSemi.
    Maybe they have some kind of filter that only lists on-board J-Links.

If your J-Link BASE / PLUS is detected by J-Link Commander / J-Link Configurator, the PC connection is fine. Then the problem is related to nRF Connect or the VS Code setup in general.

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I am struggling. Sorry. I run jlink in the terminal on my MacBook and get:

Error: --output must be specified
    Usage: jlink <options> --module-path <modulepath> --add-modules <module>[,<module>...]
    Use --help for a list of possible options

When I run with --help I get a list of options but really am not sure which ones to use.

jlink --version is 11.0.7

I ran this:
    nrfjprog -f NRF52 --recover

And got this:
    Recovering device. This operation might take 30s.
    [error] [ Client] - Encountered error -21: Command recover executed for 20 milliseconds with result -21
    [error] [ Worker] - Low voltage 0 detected in target device.
    ERROR: Recover failed. Please make sure that the correct device family is given
    ERROR: and try again.
    NOTE: For additional output, try running again with logging enabled (--log).
    NOTE: Any generated log error messages will be displayed.

Does that mean there is now power on the device? I was thinking JLink would provide the 3.3v I needed like ST-Link does.

The post was edited 2 times, last by lj001 ().

• I have no idea what you are trying to tell us with your latest try...

I took a Mac Book Pro + J-Link PLUS + J-Link Commander:

If you see an output like this, the J-Link is properly detected by the Mac Book and SEGGER software (J-Link Commander).
    If it is then not listed in VSCode, it is a VSCode / nRF Connect issue. (Probably because NordicSemi is filtering out everything except the on-board J-Links on their dev boards)
    Then we are back to the point where it makes more sense to contact NordicSemi because they would need to fix that in their tools.

BR
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• In addition to Alex' comment:

@lj001:
    The output of "JLink.exe" that you sent is not from J-Link Commander nor any software developed, provided or maintained by SEGGER.
    It appears that the JLink.exe that you are calling is a different application, developed by a third party.
    You can determine the full path of the executable using
    "where JLink.exe" on Windows.

One possible source for this issue could be an installation of the "AdoptOpenJDK" by adoptium,
    which comes with an executable called "jlink.exe" despite no relation to J-Link at all.

We recommend you to install the most recent version of the J-Link software package
    (segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-…twareAndDocumentationPack)
    and start J-Link.exe using the path to the J-Link installation instead of just "JLink.exe".

Please understand that this issue in particular is not caused by any SEGGER software.

• jlink is in /usr/bin/jlink
    jlinkexe is in /usr/local/bin/jlinkexe

Ok. I ran jlinkexe vs jlink and got this:
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V7.88 (Compiled Apr 28 2023 08:30:53)
    DLL version V7.88, compiled Apr 28 2023 08:30:45

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
    Firmware: J-Link V11 compiled Mar 28 2023 16:59:55
    Hardware version: V11.00
    J-Link uptime (since boot): 0d 00h 09m 34s
    S/N: xxxxxxxxx
    License(s): RDI, FlashBP, FlashDL, JFlash, GDB
    USB speed mode: High speed (480 MBit/s)
    VTref=0.000V

Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
    J-Link>