[SOLVED] Unable to build example project from Segger wiki

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Unable to build example project from Segger wiki

For context: My first post on this forum, first ide besides Arduino, first time using debug hardware. No answer or question is too obvious for me to potentially miss it, and please educate me if I am violating forum etiquette.

I have an Arduino Due and a J-link Edu mini and have successfully initiated communication through J-link Commander (Jlink.exe) using the SWD on a Ubuntu 20.04 Linux pc. I am now trying to build the example Arduino Due bare metal debugging program here (screenshot attached):

wiki.segger.com/images/a/a4/Arudino_Due_Hello_World.zip

I have extracted the file but can find no clear instruction on where to place it, through the ide user guide or search engines (surely this is my failure).
    I selected the "Open Solution" option in the File menu and selected the

"Arudino_Due_Hello_World.emProject" file

(sic) which seemed to import (wrong term?) the files but when I attempted to build the project I received this error:

"unknown type name error '__printf_tag_ptr'"

Screenshots attached.

I'm embarrassed to be asking such basic questions but there is noticeably less user info and guides available for Embedded Studio than Arduino. Also, I promise my blood pressure spiked to unhealthy levels multiple times before asking the forum but the increased functionality of true debugging hardware is too powerful and intriguing to let go. Thanks for any help and sorry for any annoyances. Please advise me on any ettiquette changes required.
    Images
    • Screenshot_2023-03-09-19-42-09.png

129.28 kB, 1,280×720, viewed 156 times
    • helloWorldproject.jpg

87.9 kB, 584×583, viewed 170 times
    • buildError.jpg

131.62 kB, 991×689, viewed 313 times
  • Hi,
    the issue lies on SEGGER side here.
    Some month ago, Embedded Studio was adjusted to natively import RTT as library, when selected in the project options.
    The issue is that this may lead to building errors with projects that still include the old RTT files.
    The issue can be resolved by
    • removing the RTT files from the project and
    • changing Project > Options > Library > Library I/O from "None" to "RTT".
    I uploaded a new version of the project should build out of the box with the latest Embedded Studio.
    Could you please give this a try and tell us if it works on your side, too?

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, I believe it did build out of the box this time. I will include a screen shot at the bottom in case my inexperience with Embedded Studio has me misled.

And a question about the Arduino Due page mentioned above on the Segger wiki. Under the requirements list it is stated that a 10-pin connector is needed, while the J-Link Commander screenshot in the article shows the connection method as SWD. Is SWD functional in this case? It is my preferred interface by far.

Finally should I start a new thread if problems occur with loading and/or debugging the program onto the Due? Or should I ask in this thread?

Thank you for the quick reply to the previous post.
    Images
    • HelloWorldBuild.jpg

62.86 kB, 1,429×372, viewed 135 times
    • RequirementsList.png

229.5 kB, 720×1,225, viewed 129 times
    • Due_Connect.png

51.74 kB, 979×911, viewed 130 times
  • Hi,

Ouble wrote:

Finally should I start a new thread if problems occur with loading and/or debugging the program onto the Due? Or should I ask in this thread?
    I think it is fine to stay in this thread regarding this.
    As it all concerns the sample project in the wiki that is discussed here.

Ouble wrote:

Is SWD functional in this case?
    Yes it is. The Connector is simply used to connect the signals between board and J-Link.
    See: segger.com/products/debug-prob…s/9-pin-cortex-m-adapter/

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.