[SOLVED] SystemView IP Recorder / UART recorder.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] SystemView IP Recorder / UART recorder.

Hi,

I have a few questions about creating an IP recorder / UART recorder for SystemView. I already studied the example ( Use SystemView UART Recorder - SEGGER Wiki ), but it is still not entirely clear for me.

The API defines 4 functions which can be used to send RTT data via other channels like: UART or TCP/IP: SEGGER_RTT_ReadUpBuffer, SEGGER_RTT_ReadUpBufferNoLock (for reading RTT data from the target to SystemView application) and SEGGER_RTT_WriteDownBuffer, SEGGER_RTT_WriteDownBufferNoLock (for sending RTT data from SystemView application to target). Prefered is to used SEGGER_RTT_ReadUpBufferNoLock and SEGGER_RTT_WriteDownBufferNoLock if there is one consumer. So far so good.

1. Is it necessary to poll continously (with a certain interval) the SEGGER_RTT_ReadUpBufferNoLock function? Because I don't see a callback mechanism or something similar. So when should I read this data? Is it possible to wait until I receive something (via SEGGER_RTT_WriteDownBufferNoLock) and then read the data? Or is that not the way to go?

I hope you can help me with my questions.

Best regards,
    Boris
  • You can find UART/TCP example here: segger.com/downloads/systemview/systemview_target_src

Documentation maybe is not great but all target sources are open so you can browse them and analyze.

Don't forget that it is not an open source project so UART/TCP functionality is in my opinion just a free giveaway and we should not forget about it. Segger's main goal is to make money.

I managed to port SystemView UART redirection to RP2040. You can find it here:
    github.com/phryniszak/rp2040_serial_sv
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer! I didn't realize there where also examples for IP and UART in the system view target download, so thank you very much! I understand the documentation is not great, but that was the reason why I tried the forum. So I will continue with the example!

Best regards,
    Boris