[ABANDONED] Target Reset upon SystemView Connection

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Target Reset upon SystemView Connection

Dear SEGGER Team

I am currently evaluating the SystemView software. I am very much convinced this tool will speed up debugging OS-related issues.

Integrating the SystemView sources into my project was possible thanks to the insightful user manual. I am now able to collect data from my system without any problems.
    However, I have a question regarding the start of a continuous data readout.

Every time I start recording, my target is reset by my J-Link device. Is this behavior intentional?

This is a bit irritating if I am e.g. running a debugging session in parallel since I have to follow a strict order on when I start the session and SystemView. Furthermore, I cannot "attach" SystemView to a device that has already been running for some time (without it being reset).

Some information about my setup:
    Target device - Renesas RX72N (R5F572ND)
    Target OS - FreeRTOS V10.4.3
    Debugging Probe - J-Link PRO
    J-Link SW Pack version - V7.84e
    SystemView version - V3.42

Please let me know if there is a workaround for this issue or if support for "attaching" to a session is otherwise possible.

Kind regards,
    Matthias Schär
  • McFly wrote:

Every time I start recording, my target is reset by my J-Link device. Is this behavior intentional?

This is a bit irritating if I am e.g. running a debugging session in parallel since I have to follow a strict order on when I start the session and SystemView. Furthermore, I cannot "attach" SystemView to a device that has already been running for some time (without it being reset).
    Hi Matthias

Exactly I've noticed this problem as well. It is a bit annoying that it does not work as expected.Hopefully that someone at Segger will take a look at this. If this behaviour would be fixed, the viewer would be perfect.

Kind regards
    Wini-Buh
  • Hello Matthias,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Generally when using SystemView J-Link will not reset the device on record start. Only if necessary.
    There are sometimes chips or even architectures that do not support attach mode so this might be one of them.

How did you determine that the device is reset? What kind of reset is issued? Reset Pin toggle or Software Reset?
    Are you using FINE or JTAG as debug interface?

Could you provide a J-Link log of the SystemView session?
    wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.