[SOLVED] JLink Commander / JFlash to program .elf file.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink Commander / JFlash to program .elf file.

I am trying to use JLink Commander and/or JFlash with a JLink Plus probe to download the initial firmware to an MK61FN1M0VMJ12. Are elf files supported for JLink / JFlash?
    At the wiki page on JLink here: J-Link Commander - SEGGER Wiki it says that *.elf files are supported but when I try to open an ELF file in JFlash it says "Failed to create memory area from ELF file!" and when I try it with JLink Commander it says "File is of unknown / supported format."

I had to create a flashloader for the external memory of the MK61 but I believe that is all working correctly because I can program binary (*.bin) files to both the internal and external memory with both JFlash and JLink Commander.

I am fairly new to SEGGER / JLink so I appreciate any help.

Side Note: I was referencing a page on the SEGGER wiki to create the flashloader for the external memory here: SEGGER Flash Loader - SEGGER Wiki and I can no longer see that page. It just redirects to another page that doesn't have the info I was using. That wiki page was really helpful so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about why its no longer visible.

Thanks
  • J-Link Commander / J-Flash do support ELF files. Unfortunately, there are IDEs that do not generated ELF compliant output. There is also comtinuous evolution in the ELF format. And last but not least, the ELF spec. leaves certain room for interpretation, which is a reason that most IDEs only understand ELF files that have been created with exactly that IDE.
    Feel free to send over your ELF file via PM etc., so we then can have a look.

Regarding the wiki article:
    If you look at it, there is not really less information on it than before. It has mainly been cleaned up and some flash loader entry points have been replaced by new (very similar but more efficient) ones. But overall, the procedure stayed the same.
    Can you please write what information exactly you are missing? (I mean textual/visual information, not downloads that may have been on the old page)
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Ok thanks for that clarification.

Turns out I found the info I was looking for in the JLink user manual, chapter 12 "Open Flashloader". It pretty much contains all the info that was on the wiki from what I recall seeing there before.