[SOLVED] SES 6.32a doesn't produce correct binary when compiled in Release mode for nRF52840

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] SES 6.32a doesn't produce correct binary when compiled in Release mode for nRF52840

Hi,

I just switched to SES 6.32a from 6.20a. When I compile my project in Release mode and try to run on an nRF52840 then the code crashes somewhere early. The code runs fine when build in Debug mode. I've tried to disable LTO, but that didn't help.
    In 6.20a the code runs fine in both Debug as well as Release mode.
    I'm not sure on how to tackle this issue as it's difficult to find out where it exactly crashes in Release mode as there is no debug information anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Remco Poelstra
  • Hello Remco,

The title is more than misleading. Embedded studio will produce the exact binary that you set it up to generate.
    Why your release build is not working but the debug build does can have numerous reasons. And none of them have to do with SEGGER products.
    So we recommend to get in contact with Nordic support in this regard.
    This thread will be closed now.

Some generic pointers on what is usually forgotten when moving from debug to release build:
    - Check if the correct preprocessor defines are set
    - Does the debug setup do any additional init steps that are not part of the release build? ( e.g. external memory init or similar)
    - Does your debug build application work stand alone (debug probe disconnected) after power reset? If not, it was luck that the debug build worked as the debug probe worked around the wrong project setup.
    - Nordic devices usually require a softdevice which is at the same time the bootloader. Did you make sure that the softdevice is downloaded and run through before your application is reached?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.