[SOLVED] J-Flash - Handling Readout Protection and Dual Bank Flash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Flash - Handling Readout Protection and Dual Bank Flash

Hello,

I have an STM32G474RC which utilizes dual banking. Bank1 is located at, 0x0800 0000 and bank 2 is located at 0x0804 0000. Does J-Flash V7.60c have the capability to flash Bank2 and then Bank1 in that order? As I understand it, with Dual Banking and RDP1, if Bank1 is flashed first then processor will boot from this location after Bank1 is flashed. Then when the J-Link attempts to finish the sequence and flash bank2 it will run into the RDP1 setting which took place while flashing bank1 and we will not have the capability to flash the second bank.

Or does J-Flash automatically handling this issue before the MCU has a chance to boot? I don't see any specific option for the bank flashing sequence.

Thank you for you time,
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

J-Flash executes a reset & halt after reset by default as first step of the production programming action (-auto/"F7").
    You should be fine flashing the usual way, as the core is not started before programming is finished.

Did you experience any issues so far?

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Fabian,

We are having issues that may or may not be related to this flashing process. As a part of the debug we are validating the flashing sequence. Since the MCU is being flashed with RDP1 we can't verify that both banks are flashed so we have to verify the process that J-Flash is following is expected.

When using J-Flash, is there a way we can validate the reset & halt is the default first step? I see on wiki.segger.com/UM08003_JFlash…-Flash_for_the_first_time under Actions performed by "Production Programming" "F7" that the process is as follows"
    1. Init steps
    2. erase sectors
    3. program
    4. verify
    5. start app
    6. secure chip
    7. exit steps
    Is the "Halt" command part of the Init step and then the a final "Go" command, which starts the CPU part of the exit step? Where can I find these default configs in J-Flash?

Apologies, I don't have a lot of experience with J-Flash so this programming software is relatively new to me.

Thank you,
  • Hi,
    The action "Reset" implicitly does a halt.
    This is the only way to make sure that the device is in a defined state when programming the flash.

The "Reset" action is by default selected in the Init steps on project creation, and can be removed by the user if required.
    If you set RDP level 1 in the exit steps, I do not think you actually need to issue a go, as OBL_LAUNCH will trigger a system reset anyway,
    so the device should be running afterwards.

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.