[SOLVED] debug session timeout after connection loss

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] debug session timeout after connection loss

Hi, I am using an XMC-Link debugger with DAVE for developing on Infineon XMC microcontrollers. It happens very often, that I disconnect the power of my microcontroller board while a debug session is still running. As a consequence, the debugger is failing to read registers. But there are no timeout or abortion criteria, so it just keeps running, causing high CPU load, which is annoying because the fans will spin up after a while and if I want to start a new debug session later, I have to terminate the running one manually.

So, my question is: Is there a way to automatically terminate a debug session if power/connection loss occurs?

And, is it possible to automatically terminate a running debug session if I start a new one? I think with STM Cube IDE it works that way. Or is this something the IDE must handle?
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inqiury.

fraengers wrote:

It happens very often, that I disconnect the power of my microcontroller board while a debug session is still running.
    It is not recommended to cut the debug connection behind the back of a debug probe, while the debug session is running.
    It usually does not hurt, but it is like killing a part of the debug process.
    The recommended way would be to stop the debug session first and then to cut the power afterwards.

fraengers wrote:

Is there a way to automatically terminate a debug session if power/connection loss occurs?
    As you already correctly suspected this is the IDEs job.
    If J-Link and its software would do this on its own, this would be behind the back of the IDE.Thus the IDE would not know the correct state of the debug session anymore.

Does this answer your question?

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.