[SOLVED] SES crashes on M1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] SES crashes on M1

I just received new Mac with M1 chip. I did data migration from my old Intel based mac (not sure if that could cause any issues). After starting SES and creating new project it compiles normally (using internal compiler).
    But when I select my old projects (any of them) which are using external gcc, SES crashes. It doesnt show me crash report window, but SES window just disappears.
    I would assume it is related to calling external gcc commands.
    My gcc compiler is installed in the same folder as it was on the old mac. Running commands from terminal works fine.

Any ideas ?
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    What macOS version are you using exactly?
    Which external gcc version are you using?
    Could you provide a simplified project for reproduction that shows this behaviour?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

I am using macOS Monterey on Mac Studio with M1 Max, 64GB ram.
    I tried both M1 version of SES as well as x64 version.
    GCC version is: 11.2-2022.02-darwin-x86_64-arm-none-eabi, but I also tried with version 10.3-2021.10, which results in the same behaviour.

I was just going through the code and pinpointed issue to the include of <string_view> (there might be other libs as well but this one is what I first noticed)..
    Basically following code crashes my SES when using external GCC. This for sure works on the Intel based SES with same GCC version.

Source Code

1. #include <string_view>
    2. int main(void)
    3. {
    4. }
    edit: <algorithm> is also crashing the SES

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gossamer: update ().

• If anyone experience the same issue, it is due to the ARM compiler + Rossetta2 compatibility.

ARM forum

For some reason I had issues with version 10.3, but I assume my scripts failed to clear all obj/bin files and there was some mismatch. SES works fine with the version 10.3.
  • Hi,
    Good to hear that the problem could be resolved.

We will close this thread now.

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.