[SOLVED] RP2040 Custom Board, how to flash?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] RP2040 Custom Board, how to flash?

Hi,

I have a custom board that I've created with an RP2040 and a ZD25WQ16 flash chip (this is very similar to the standard Pico flash device.)

I can happily use the Picoprobe to program and debug the device (well I say happily, it's painfully slow, hence my desire to use my J-Link Edu Mini) so I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the standard flash capabilities are the same as the standard Pico.

I can also use the J-Link for any ram based stuff, it all works ok, which makes me think the basic SWD side of things is fine.

However, if I try to program or erase the flash I get an error:

Failed to prepare RAMCode using RAM
    - Error while determining flash info (Bank @ 0x10000000)

My assumption at this point is that this is most likely due to the different ID's the flash device is going to return, and effectively means that my flash device isn't supported.

So my question is: How can I add support for the device or get it to ignore the ID's (if that is indeed the problem.)

Many thanks,

Lee.
  • Hi Lee,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

The ZD25WQ16 is not supported by the J-Link Software:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…es/supported-spi-flashes/

Also, I cannot find official information about a ZD25WQ16 flash chip online.
    Does it also have another name? Can you point us to official documentation about this device?

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

Apologies for the slow reply .. I didn't get any notifications so I assumed nobody had responded to this.

The flash is available from LCSC.com and is manufactured by Zetta. The datasheet is here: datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/220316…D25WQ16BUIGR_C2983691.pdf

It behaves exactly the same as the standard flash in the Pico ... although it does have some more granular flash erase sizes.

I'm quite surprised you couldn't find it ... if you just google the part number the top response seems to be one of your competitors programmers that supports the chip ;)

Regards,

Lee.
  • Hi Lee,

essele wrote:

I'm quite surprised you couldn't find it ... if you just google the part number the top response seems to be one of your competitors programmers that supports the chip
    This is not what I said at all. What I wrote is:

SEGGER - Fabian wrote:

Also, I cannot find official information about a ZD25WQ16 flash chip online.
    What I meant was:
    After having a quick look on google, I could not find an official Zetta presence in the web providing information about this Flash.

The datasheet you linked is a secondary source and not officially provided by Zetta.
    Apparently you yourself did not find the official source.

In the mean time I found it, even though it is not listed on google for what ever reason:
    en.zettadevice.com/detail_10.html

BR
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.