[ABANDONED] JLinkScript .pex file

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] JLinkScript .pex file

I'm trying to reduce the time taken to connect the debugger and halt the Cortex M3 core as much as possible. I see delays between JLinkScript calls that I think are down to the DLL interpreting the script on the fly. The SEGGER Wiki page about JLinkScript mentions pre-compiled pex files - does anyone know anything about creating these compiled binary files? Is this only a format internal to SEGGER?

Cheers
    Cheers,
    Sean
  • Hi,

Correct, .pex files can only be created by SEGGER.

We may be able to help you here, if you could provide some more information on your J-Link script file.
    What exactly are you trying to achieve and what does not work as you expect?
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for the confirmation.

I have a custom ASIC with the potential for the SWD lines to be re-configured as GPIO when the ARM starts executing code. We can reduce the chance of this happening in code but it'll be a possibility to a degree. I'm trying to see how fast I can connect and halt by having my JLink script reset function perform a hard reset (via the JTAG 20-pin RESET pin) then wait for a successful CORESIGHT_Configure() call before asserting the S_HALT & S_DEBUGEN bits in the ARM core. I'm building in a pre-initialisation delay into the apps which will allow this halt process to complete before any chance of an SWD line being re-configured after main() is called. The smaller the initial required boot delay the better.

We can live with a long enough delay for now, and will contact SEGGER if we need faster script execution time in future. I do have a related question:

If the JLinkScript function JLINK_CORESIGHT_Configure() fails to configure, does it toggle the RESET line before it completes? I was hoping to call this function in a loop after the hard reset but can see a 50ms RESET period each iteration of the loop. I can't see any mention of this RESET toggle in the documentation, and was hoping it would just attempt a serial line reset followed by a switch to the SWD protocol each time it was called.
    Cheers,
    Sean