[SOLVED] RTTVIewer improvements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] RTTVIewer improvements

Hi, I have seen a few questions related to RTT viewer (which is not an editor).
    I think there could be some new features and improvements in this such welcome tool.

1) Make it possible to unlock automatic scroll so that we can read messages without been kicked to the latest message. Currently, to do so you have to stop connection, which will cause you to miss information.
    2) Make it possible to search for keywords. This is a very interesting feature to a crowded logging environment. Current approach is to "select all", "copy" and paste into some external notepad.
    3) Allow having system timestamp in all messages. This would make me re-think in adding timestamp within the code itself.

Well, there are other nice features that could fit in there.

Are there plans for it?
    If you don't have the workforce, can we contribute in some way?

Thanks. :)
  • Hello,

Thanks for you suggestions!

1) Enable/ Disable auto-scroll
    I agree, such a feature makes sense.
    I will put it on our internal ToDo.
    Please note that we cannot provide an ETA for this as we are fully booked and
    we have no plans of "outsourcing" work of this kind.

2) Keyword search
    I can see how such a feature can be an improvement,
    but we will have to check the efforts necessary to implement such a feature.
    I will add this suggestion to our internal RTTViewer wish list.

3) Message timestamps
    Unfortunately, this is not as straight-forward as it may seem.
    RTT Viewer itself has no way of knowing when a message was "printed" by the target.
    RTT data is buffered in multiple places along its way to the RTT Viewer (target application, inside J-Link, inside J-Link DLL, ...),
    so RTT Viewer cannot tell at which time a message was "printed" by the target application.
    The application also has no way of knowing how much time passed between two "printed" messages, either.
    So the only way to have reliable (e.g. useful) timestamps for RTT messages is to implement them on target-side,
    which is user responsibility.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Follow-up:
    1) Enable/ Disable auto-scroll
    This feature is already implemented.
    Could you please download the most recent release of the J-Link RTT VIewer and check?
    segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-…twareAndDocumentationPack

In the menu bar under "Terminals" there is a menu action "Autoscroll on new output" which can be enabled/ disabled accordingly.

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.