[SOLVED] BeagleBone using JTAG with Jlink debugger

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] BeagleBone using JTAG with Jlink debugger

Hello,

I am a research student using a BeagleBone Black, AM3359 ARM Cortex-A8, for JTAG and using the JLink debugger for performing break/watch points and real-time tracing. I intend to implement the attached Script File (.elf). As seen in the attached screenshot of my Ozone application, after loading my Script file using the Project Wizard, I get the following error: "File not tagged with ELF magic number."

Can someone please point me to the section(s) that need to be modified for my specific board?

Thank you in advance!
    Images
    • Ozone error.png

139.71 kB, 1,057×909, viewed 457 times
    Files
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The error message indicates that the elf file you are loading does not conform the elf file standard:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executab…nkable_Format#File_header
    As you can see they call a section in the header "magic number".

From the screenshot you provided it seems that you set your JLinkScript as the elf file (your actual target application).
    We can see that in the console log with File.Open() Ozone tries to load the JLinkScript file as an elf file and obviously fails as it is no elf file.
    How to use JLinkScript files in different tools is explained here:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_script_…Using_J-Link_script_files

I assume there was a setup error here when creating a new project with the project wizard.
    On the project wizard page called "Program File" you need to set the target application which you are planning to debug. So either the output file from the IDE/Toolchain you use for code generation or a binary, hex etc. You can also leave this empty if you have no application and just want to attach later with Ozone.
    If you then press next, here you can set your JLinkScript file in the project wizard.

Also we recommend to call your J-Link Script file .JLinkScript at the end to avoid such confusion in future.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you for your reply!

As per my last post, I left the Program File page empty, no elf file, as it says it is optional. As for the next page, Optional Settings page, I modified the name of my J-Link Script file with the ".JLinkScript" ending and only loaded it to this page. Then clicked "Finish." I then pressed the green start button and/or pressed F5 to start the debug session. Here I get the following error: CPU-TAP not found in JTAG chain, in red in the attached .png image. I also noticed the "Error connecting to device" error at the bottom of the screen that only appears AFTER pressing the green start button.

Again, I am using a BeagleBone Black, AM3359 ARM Cortex-A8, for JTAG and using the JLink EDU debugger for performing break/watch points and real-time tracing on Ozone application. I am loading the "ScriptBeagleBoard_OMAP3530.JLinkScript" offered by JLink Samples folder, also attached below as a txt file, however, in the application I load it as a .JLinkScript file as previously said.

Please can someone explain to me why this error appears, "CPU-TAP not found in JTAG chain," and why I am not able to start debugging.

Thank you in advance.
    Images
    • CPU-TAP not found in JTAG chain.png

110.9 kB, 918×804, viewed 256 times
    Files
  • Hello,

Not sure what you are doing.
    Attached you can find an example project that is tested with BeagleBone Rev C Board and Ozone V3.26a
    Does this project work for you as well?

If not you seem to have general connect issues.
    Connection troubleshooting is explained here:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…nection_is_unsuccessful_2

Best regards,
    Nino
    Files
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.