[SOLVED] RTT Viewer V7.00 bug - Enter does not work

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] RTT Viewer V7.00 bug - Enter does not work

When using RTT Viewer V7.00 if you have Input set to "send data on input" there is no way to send an 'enter'/carriage return/line feed (aka 0x0D and/or 0x0A).

The only way to get the 'enter' to be sent is to change input to "Send on Enter" in this case you have to have buffer on target large enough to hold the entire string. Where if you could "send on input" and you have characters coming in slowly (typing speed) you only need a small buffer on the target that is small.

Thanks
    Trampas
  • What you describe is true but known behavior.
    So, where is the bug here?
    Did you see different behavior with versions before V7.00?
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I guess the bug is that it is no working as expected. I mean I guess if you could send 'A' and 'B' but not 'C' as long as it was known it would not be a bug and working unexpected. Heck why not make it such that you can only send a letter once and only once?
    So not being able sending the carriage return or line feed seems just as random to me personally and is why I rate it as bug.

Don't get me wrong I think it is fine to claim it is not a bug, and let your customers suffer, as it does make life easier for your competition.
  • Hi Trampas,

1)
    The statement that it is not possible to send 0x0A / 0x0D in "send data on input mode" is not fully correct.
    You can paste it into the input field, which definitely works.
    This is not an intuitive/easy way to achieve things, but might work in your situation for now.

I agree that pressing Return/Enter at the beginning of the input field would usually be expected to
    send the end line characters specified in the "Input->End of line" options of the RTT Viewer.
    However, this was not deemed as a required option when the RTT Viewer was designed.
    In fact, you are the first person in years that pointed this behavior out.

I added this to our feature request list.
    There is most likely not much required to implement this, so it will probably be added within the next few weeks.

2)
    In case the copy paste solution does not work for you:
    You could also use the J-Link TELNET Channel to send any character you require, not only ASCII chars but any byte value you want:
    wiki.segger.com/RTT#TELNET_channel_of_J-Link_software

Beste regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.