GUI_DispString() performance is poor compared to GUI_DrawRect()

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GUI_DispString() performance is poor compared to GUI_DrawRect()

New

I'm trying to display text and graphics on the LCD.
      My wonder is that the text drawing performance is very poor compared to other graphics (rectangles).
      What is a bottleneck? Or is it inevitable?

I found this post, but there is no solution yet.
      Font Draw Time/Performance

My application is running intermittently due to low power consumption and only needs to be active for a short time.
      The LCD driver is custom and uses a bitplane driver.

Here are some examples:

C Source Code

1. GUI_SetFont (GUI_FONT_20_1);
      2. GUI_SetTextMode (GUI_TM_NORMAL);
      3. GUI_DispString ("AAAA"); // 3300us
      4. GUI_DispChar ('A'); // 800us
      5. len = GUI_GetStringDistX ("BBBB"); // 35us
      6. GUI_DrawRect (0,0, len, 20); // 185us :17 times faster than text
      7. GUI_FillRect (0,0, len, 20); // 305us :11 times faster than text

MCU specifications:
      Cortex M0 48MHz
      32kB RAM, 256kB flash ROM

Thank you.
      Yuki
    • New

Hi,

Depending on the font type and anti-aliasing level you are using, it definitely can take longer to display a string compared to a simple rectangle that is not anti-aliased.

If the font is anti-aliased, the semi-transparent parts are mixed with the background colors. And obviously, the bigger the font is, the longer it takes to display each character bitmap.

Best regards,
      Florian
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • New

Dear Yuki,
      The following contents are just my thoughts. I am also novice for enWin library. Please keep this in mind as reference..

I think DrawRect is a very simple function. This is because all you have to do is write data while comparing the start and end regions.
      I think FillRect is also a very simple function. Firstly set area with the start point and end point area on the LCD and just send the color data(for ex, 16bit 565) as amount of the set area size.
      However, the string function will take more time to take each character data from the selected font data table and write a pixel while comparing it to each pixel using options like transparency or anti-aliasing. So comparing with string fn and simple drawrect or drawbmp, it seems take more time.

As Florian said above, bigger font will need more processing time to display.
      BR,
      Tommy Lim
    • New

Dear Florian and Tommy,

Thank you for your quick reply.

As you said, the bigger font takes longer time.
      I've tried that created font without anti-aliasing, but the speed wasn't change. Futher my display has only 3bit/pixel (RGB), and it seems to there is not heavy anti-alias processing.

Although, It is not clear my setting is disable anti-aliasing completely.
      My current setting is only "GUI_AA_SetFactor(0);".
      How it disable completely?

Best regards,
      Yuki
    • New

Hi Yuki,

GUI_AA_SetFactor() sets the AA factor for drawing operations such as GUI_AA_DrawRoundedRect(), and so on. This does not refer to strings.

You would need emWin fonts of the type "Extended", not "Extended, antialiased, 2bpp" or "Extended, antialiased, 4bpp". You can create your fonts using the Font Converter.

Best regards,
      Florian
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.