[SOLVED] Ozone Terminal Window -- display specific RTT channel

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Ozone Terminal Window -- display specific RTT channel

Hello Segger,

In my application I use multiple up/down RTT channels for different purpose (shell, logging, binary transfer, etc.). When I am debugging with Ozone it's nice to use the integrated Terminal window to capture text messages that are sent from the Target (using e.g. SEGGER_RTT_WriteString(BufferIndex, "String")) but how can I specify which RTT up/down channel should be displayed in Ozone Terminal Window?

To give specific example, I can create a new UP channel (Target -> Host direction). Let's call it channel 3 (as channels 0-2 are used for other purpose) and in my application I have SEGGER_RTT_WriteString(3, "print this string"); and in Ozone I open the Terminal window. How can I get the window to show only channel 3 messages?

Thank you!
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Ozone currently only supports displaying channel 0.
    Multi channel setups are generally not recommended.
    Instead we recommend using virtual terminals:
    wiki.segger.com/RTT#SEGGER_RTT_SetTerminal

That way you only need to allocate one buffer and can still differentiate to up to 16 virtual terminals.
    This can be used currently in e.g. J-Link RTT Viewer which you can run in parallel to Ozone:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_RTT_Viewer
    Just make sure RTT display is disabled in Ozone then.

We will add support for virtual RTT terminals to Ozone to our feature wish list but can't promise a fixed release date.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino!

Thanks for the prompt follow-up --- I really appreciate that!

Very good to know which RTT channel is displayed in Ozone. Even if there's not possibility to configure it, I could always set aside that channel.

> Multi channel setups are generally not recommended.

Why is that? I love the RTT capability and I can have SystemView and Logging and Console all separately in different RTT buffers. I have read about the virtual terminals but I don't understand why is it bad to use multiple RTT channels like I do. I thought I was doing it the right way to have very different information (some binary, or ASCII) on different channels (each channel has different buffer size, polling interval, etc.).

Thanks for the information though! The clarity of the feature supported in Ozone is very helpful.