[SOLVED] Which adapter to use with Jlink Plus and XMC1400

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Which adapter to use with Jlink Plus and XMC1400

Hi,

I need an adaptor to use with JLink Plus.
    I will use this with my XMC1400 for SWD and ASC BSL protocol.
    I check the adapters and saw that these two are ok with SWD:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…s/9-pin-cortex-m-adapter/
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…/19-pin-cortex-m-adapter/
    I saw that swdio and swclk lines are there, that's OK.
    As discussed in this post([SOLVED] ChanginG BMI of XMC1400 from ASC BSL to SWD0), I learnt that ASC BSL communication is also possible with this JLink Plus. But I couldn't see RXD and TXD lines needed for ASC BSL communication in none of these adaptors.
    Which part do I get wrong? Is it really possible to do ASC BSL communication with Jlink Plus?
  • Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, SWD and ASC share the same pins.
    ASC is a half-duplex UART, meaning that 1 pin is Tx and Rx. In SWD mode the pin acts as SWDIO and in ASC mode it is TxRx.
    On the adapters you may find it as TMS (if used on a device that supports JTAG).

So the adapters you listed above can also be used for ASC mode.

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

Thank you for your fast return.

SEGGER - Alex wrote:

SWD and ASC share the same pins
    If I am not mistaken this is not the case neither on the MCU side nor on the an other debugger I am using(XMCLink) ( You can check the debugger's pinout from Table 3. in here infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-XMC…2518ffd850152451695e45edc and XMC1400 Boot Kit's pinout for debug pins from chp 2.6, Table 1 in here infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Boa…2525dbac401527815f9a073fd ) And my device doesn't support JTAG.

So how jLink Plus is doing this with only two pins?
    Bests,
    İpek
  • The Tx and Rx pins yyou are referring to here are for virtual COM port.
    This is a USB 2 serial (UART) bridge to communicate with your target application.
    They have NOTHING to do with the ASC BSL of the XMC. So yes, you are mistaken.

Again, the TMS / SWDIO / SPD pin is used for ASC BSL communication.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.