[SOLVED] IDEA: Need 3D graphic debug tool for Segger IDE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] IDEA: Need 3D graphic debug tool for Segger IDE

I need a 3D graphic tool that plugs in or is built into the Segger IDE that allows me to debug trigonometric and geometry functions in 3D graphic space.

Needed Features:

I want to observe xyz cartesian coordinates converted to polar coordinates and back again, displayed within a 3D sphere.
    I want to graphically observe an accelerometer's xyz motion vector displayed inside a sphere in real-time, while the firmware hardware is running.
    I want to graphically observe a magnetometer's North pole vector displayed inside a sphere in real-time, while the firmware hardware is running.
    I want to graphically observe an accelerometer's determined 1G gravitational vector inside a sphere in real-time.
    I want to observe all of the above at the same time.
    Observing such things allows a software developer to confirm the validity of the geometric functions.

The graphic tool works like this:

The project's C firmware source code invokes a graphic tool with a collection of coordinates as parameters, such as xyz coodinates, vector color, vector thickness, backdrop sphere, etc.

Then during a Segger IDE debug session, the following occurs...
    A popup graphic window appears showing the graphic vectors and objects in 3D space, very similar to observing a small video game.
    The graphic tool displays the coordinates as one or more vectors rotating around a sphere graphic object.
    Each vector can be color controlled by the debugging software, whereby a software developer can readily confirm that various geometric functions are working correctly.

It seems to me that debugging software means more than a text trace in a console window. Debugging can also be visual in a 3D graphic space. It's a faster and more reliable approach to graphic and geometric functions.

Is there such a tool anywhere in the marketplace?
    If not, I would like to see Segger or another 3rd party company build this tool. IT IS VERY MUCH NEEDED! [img]https://forum.segger.com/wcf/images/smilies/tongue.png[/img]

Ken Huebner
    Software Developer
  • Hello Ken,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We are not aware of such tool that would be available.
    While we see the appeal of having a sensor and function output visualized in 3D space, such tool would only be useful to a very small fraction of our customer base so currently there are no plans to create such tool.

Should you be interested in creating such software yourself the J-Link SDK could be used:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/
    It is the same SDK that was used to create all our J-Link and debug software tools.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.