[SOLVED] J-Link Emulator for AM437x in CCS (TI)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link Emulator for AM437x in CCS (TI)

Hello,
    the SEGGER J-Link JTAG emulators are supported in CodeComposerStudio and the TI AM4377 processor is supported by SEGGER. However, the AM4377 is not yet enabled in CCS.

From TI I got the following response:
    Hello Bernd,
    The J-Link package in CCS does not appear to come with the driver XML file for the Cortex-A9. Hence AM437x does not appear to be supported in CCS.
    Looks like they have had J-Link support for it for awhile, but still has not added support for it in CCS
    https://e2e.ti.com/support/tools/code-composer-studio-group/ccs/f/code-composer-studio-forum/852385/ccs-am4372-does-iar-j-link-support-am437x-i-e-cortex-a9
    https://e2e.ti.com/support/tools/code-composer-studio-group/ccs/f/code-composer-studio-forum/815282/ccs-am4377-debug-connection-over-segger-j-link-not-allowed
    As mentioned in the above threads, support for this would have to come from Segger. It is best to contact them directly.
    Thanks
    ki

Might it be possible for SEGGER to add the support for it in CCS?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    have a nice day,

Bernd
  • Hi Bernd,
    Sorry for the delay in response.

I will raise this topic on our next internal meeting and come back to you with the results.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Bernd,
    We implemented Cortex-A9 support for the J-Link CCS Plugin.
    A new version containing this feature is planned to be released sometime next week.

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Bernd,
    You should be able to update it from within CCS:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…pdating-j-link-inside-ccs

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello Fabian,

I tried to use the latest J-Link files, but I couldn't get it working. When changing the target configuration in CCS from TI-Debug-probe to <Segger J-Link Emulator> I still get the error message <Unable to find appropriate device driver for connection type "JLink" and isa "CortexA9">. The versions I get from the update site (download.segger.com/J-Link/JLink_TI_CCS_plugin_unified) are:
    • <SEGGER J-Link USB-Driver> 1.0.0.6
    • <SEGGER J-Link Support> 7.52.4.0.
    Are these the correct ones or am I using the wrong update-site?

have a nice day,
    Bernd

PS: I am using CCS 10.4.0.6

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bernd Sprenger ().

• Hi,
    I checked and we did indeed not upload the version with the A9 Support.

It should now be available via Help -> Check for Updates (7.56.2.0)

Could you please try again and tell us if it now works as expected?

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello Fabian,

it downloads the update support and driver files, but unfortunately it still doesn't work (even after a clean-install of CCS) - When switching in my "Target Configuration" from "Blackhawk" to "Segger J-Link Emulator" I still get the error message [Unable to find an appropriate device driver for the connection type "JLink" and isa "CortexA9"]...

The following Segger support & drivers are installed:
    • Segger J-Link Support (Windows x86_64): 7.56.2.0
    • Segger J-Link USB Driver: 1.0.1.0

Best regards,
    Bernd
  • Hi Bernd,
    this is odd.

Could you send us a small sample project (e.g. count loop in main())
    this issue is reproducible with?

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello Fabian,

if I create a new CCS Project ("File"->"New"->"CCS Project") and select as target the AM3359, then I get in the "Connection" pulldown menu the option to select "Segger J-Link Emulator". If selecting as target the AM4378, the possiblity to select the "Segger J-Link Emulator" disappears...

Maybe it would be fastest to show you the effect by a TeamViewer, or Teams meeting?

Best regards,
    Bernd
  • Hi Bernd,
    we are able to reproduce this issue.

Could you please unzip the content of the following file (contains an xml-file)
    - download.segger.com/Fabian/211109_jlinkcortex_a9.zip
    to the following directory of the CCS installation
    - %CCSInstallDir%\ccs\ccs_base\common\targetdb\drivers
    and try again?

On our side this solves the issue.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello Fabian,
    it works now - I could connect, download and run a test program. Thanks!

However, for your information, I get a few messages in the Console:
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register REG_SYSTEM_MMU_CONFIG: No mapped register was found for 1929379842
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register REG_SYSTEM_TARGET_CONFIG: No mapped register was found for 1929379840
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register REG_SYSTEM_MMU_STATUS: No mapped register was found for 1929379843
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register CP15_Registers.REG_CTXA9_CP15_C2_TTBCR: No mapped register was found for 655294978
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register CP15_Registers.REG_CTXA9_CP15_C2_TTBR0: No mapped register was found for 655294976
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register CP15_Registers.REG_CTXA9_CP15_C2_TTBR1: No mapped register was found for 655294977
    CortexA9: Trouble Reading Register CP15_Registers.REG_CTXA9_CP15_C3_DACR: No mapped register was found for 655295232

Bernd