[SOLVED] J-Link EDU Mini compatibility with 5 V targets

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link EDU Mini compatibility with 5 V targets

Hi,

I am using a BLDC_SHIELD_TLE9879 from Infineon to drive brushless motors for my masters project and I am having trouble connecting to the TLE9879 chip on the shield via a 10 pin J-Link connection in Arm Keil (TDO always high).
    The debugger I am using is the J-Link EDU Mini.

Infineon shield: infineon.com/cms/en/product/ev…oards/bldc_shield_tle9879
    EDU Mini: segger.com/products/debug-prob…k/models/j-link-edu-mini/

I believe the issue is due to the fact that the J-Link EDU Mini is designed for 3.3 V targets, while the infineon shield I am trying to connect to works on 5 V (with a minimum threshold of 3.7 V to detect a digital high).
    I attempted to solve this issue using a custom connector I made allowing for level shifting from 3.3 V to 5 V for the appropriate signals between the J-Link EDU Mini and the infineon shield. However, the shield was still unable to connect to the debugger.
    Assuming I did the level shifting correctly, can this approach work? If so, I can then assume that I did not correctly set up my level shifting.

Another possible solution would be for me to purchase the J-Link EDU Debug Probe, which seems to have target voltage ratings between 1.2 V and 5 V. However, this debugger appears to only have a 20 pin connector. Would I then need the appropriate adapter?

EDU Debug Probe: segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/j-link-edu/

Thanks,
    MarkC
  • Hello,

The J-Link EDU Mini is 3.3V only. Any level shifter adding etc. is made at your own risk and out of warranty and support. We cannot guarantee that it works. Especially if you are using SWD debug protocol for which 1 pin is bidirectional, which is tricky for level shifters that auto-detect the direction of a signal.

Using a J-Link EDU with 20-pin connector:
    Assuming that X6 on the Infineon board is the debug connector and follows the standard pinout from ARM, this should be the adapter you need:
    shop.segger.com/debug-trace-pr…nk-9-pin-cortex-m-adapter

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.