[SOLVED] J-Link EDU Debug Probe with Ozone and SystemView

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link EDU Debug Probe with Ozone and SystemView

I am learning...

First question:
    hi, i have a st nucleo 144 board with integrated st-link converted to j-link. I use it with Ozone and SystemView to study FreeRTOS.
    Now I would like to buy a J-Link EDU Debug Probe and I would like to know if I will be able to use Ozone and SystemView without having any license issues or having to pay for them. I only want the J-Link EDU for hobby or personal use. Ozone information says it need J-Link RDI license.

Second question:
    I have a STMF407 development board that is powered with 5V and with this it delivers 3V3 on pin 2 of the board 20-pin JTAG connector. So if I connect a J-Link probe to this board using the ribbon cable 20 pins, I could damage the board or the probe because the 3V3 output of the J-Link may have problems with the 3V3 of the board. I ask because I don't have J-Link, I don't know if it delivers 3V3

Third question:
    how to verify that a J-Link probe is genuine? I have seen many fake / replica probes on the internet and I don't know if the J-Link EDUs they sell on amazon are genuine.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1:
    Yes a J-Link EDU will work with Ozone and any of the other software we provide. All of our software is now under the SFL license where generally private or educational usage is fair.
    segger.com/purchase/licensing/license-sfl/

2:
    J-Links I/O will be on whatever level signal VTref is (pin1 on the 20 pin connector)
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…gy/interface-description/
    So if your board follows the Arm debug connector specification no damage can be done.

3:

For reference see here:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…ink-family-model-overview
    If a J-Link looks slightly different than the one presented here, they are most likely clones and illegal.
    Usual giveaways are a different print font, different information printed etc.
    Also on a genuine J-Link there will be a sticker on the bottom with a continuous serial number.
    When in doubt we recommend to only use our official distributors to get a guaranteed genuine J-Link:
    segger.com/purchase/distributors/

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello

- This is the schematic of the JTAG connector of my board

- What version of J-Link EDU includes/works with license SFL ?

- These are the sellers I asked:
    1) seller 1
    2) seller 2
    they say the device are genuine and some reviews says it is original because the device says made in germany.
    I cant buy from the Worldwide distributors because the shipping cost + tax import fees can cost me an approximated of 220 USD for a J.Link EDU of 64 USD

Thanks
  • Hi,

xtrem wrote:

- This is the schematic of the JTAG connector of my board
    On first glance looks correct.

xtrem wrote:

- What version of J-Link EDU includes/works with license SFL ?
    All of them.

xtrem wrote:

- These are the sellers I asked:
    From the screenshot they look genuine.
    If you are unsure feel free to open a new thread after you receive them with pictures from the front and back.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.