[SOLVED] essential to compile and download to the dev board

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] essential to compile and download to the dev board

Hello all,

I am having problems with uploading/downloading the code in the Segger Embedded Studio (SES) to the dev board, I am working on the ETA Compute M3 EVB ..

So, does any of you have an idea where to look at how to actually make sure that I am uploading/downloading ... compiling the modified code correctly,

For example:

1) after following the F7 keystroke ... the ES reports Build complete, after F5, SES reports Download successful

2) after pressing the "green arrow" button on the upper left hand side , namely " starting the execution " the program starts to run and accordingly it seems that it is OK, I dive into the code...

So, I guess this is the right way to work on it?

However, if I change the code in the main () for example, a simple printf() ... and repeat the above process, nothing new happens, i cannot see the output of the modifies code, so, it seems something is obviously not working properly ?

SO, I am wondering, what I have to do to get this going, actually, where to get more information about that?

So far my "debug search paths" are defined as follows:

Global ... :
    /SDK_old/soc/ecm3532/m3/csp/inc;
    /SDK_old/soc/ecm3532/m3/csp/lib/gcc;
    /SDK_old/soc/ecm3532/m3/reg/inc

Project Session ...
    /SDK_old/soc/ecm3532/m3/csp/lib/gcc;
    /SDK_old/soc/ecm3532/m3/reg/inc

My Project session file map is empty.

and, if I try to include particular file e.g #include "eta_chip.h" I get the error:
    ... fatal error: eta_chip.h: No such file or directory
    4> compilation terminated.
    Build failed

OK, when I go to the main.c and check the included file, namely right click on a mouse and then go to included file, this error pops out in a separate window : Can open for reading?
    Tried other included files as well, and most of them are not readable??? Checked the permissions on the file and corrected... reopened the session, etc. but nothing better... same prolem...
    Found only one among them that can be opened...

Any help is much appreciated.

Best.

The post was edited 5 times, last by MUETA ().

• Hi,

Generally a build and debug (F7+F5) is the right approach if you change only a source file or similar.
    But if you are changing project settings, include paths, other linker related changes, then we recommend a Rebuild (Alt+F7).

MUETA wrote:

So far my "debug search paths" are defined as follows:
    Where do you define them exactly? Make sure they are set as user include directories, not anywhere else.

MUETA wrote:

OK, when I go to the main.c and check the included file, namely right click on a mouse and then go to included file, this error pops out in a separate window : Can open for reading?
    Tried other included files as well, and most of them are not readable??? Checked the permissions on the file and corrected... reopened the session, etc. but nothing better... same prolem...
    Found only one among them that can be opened...
    The issue is not that they are not readable, but that the file does not exist at the path you specify. This sounds like your project setup is incorrect for the include paths. Make sure the right paths are set in project options under user include directories.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino

I have managed to compile the #include due to the preprocessor setup , however, now I want to use the library, but I cannot, I get the "undefined reference " to the method I am trying to call when compiling ...

Any ideas what am I doing wrong this time?

BR.
  • Hello,

Could you provide a screenshot of the errors you are getting?
    How did you include your library? Is it a source library or do you only have the compiled .a file?
    If the latter you need to set it in project options as "Additional Input Files".

A guide on how you can add third party sources to your basic Embedded Studio project is explained here with the example of adding FreeRTOS Sources:
    wiki.segger.com/How_to_create_…ject_with_Embedded_Studio

But the principle is always the same, no matter what software.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.