Difference between JLink V10 and V11 // V10 still updated?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Difference between JLink V10 and V11 // V10 still updated?

      Hi Segger Team,
      whats the difference between JLink V10 and V11 ? Regarding your wiki both are supporting the same things. But where is the difference then?
      Is the V10 still updated?
      Got currently an old V8 Edu and want to update to a newer EDU to support Cortex-A cores so i need a newer JLink or?

      Are there plans to support other PIC (18, dspic) beside PIC32? V10/V11 should support ICSP but why not PIC18? Would be great if i don't need my PICkit 3 anymore..
      Only a JLink for all...

      And another question if i got a binary / hex file (diy kit) for a uC currently i have to go with Openocd to flash the binary into the uC or is there a simpler way to use JLink Software beside buying a "not for hobby priced" Jflash?

      Maybe it is possible to add a EDU Licence where you can use Jflash once every 5 minute or 15 or 60 minutes? Would be great or maybe im missing the correct use..?

      And are STM8 now supported? And if not why? Hardware should be capable or ? And Software is also ready you got them in your STM8 flasher or?

      Many questions.. Bestellt regards
      Felix
    • Hello,

      The V10 is in the maintenance period. So bugfixes will be added but no new features.

      Noy wrote:


      Are there plans to support other PIC (18, dspic) beside PIC32? V10/V11 should support ICSP but why not PIC18? Would be great if i don't need my PICkit 3 anymore..
      Only a JLink for all...
      No plans for PIC16 / 18 /33 / ... debug support right now.
      ICSP for PIC32 is different from ICSP from PIC18 / 33 / ... (Microchip just calls it ICSP on all platforms but they are actually different protocols).
      The complete debug logic and core infrastructure is different between all the cores.
      We are talking about months of work here for a very low paying customer base. (Do not count the EDUs as these do not pay salaries but are more a charity project for SEGGER).

      Noy wrote:

      And another question if i got a binary / hex file (diy kit) for a uC currently i have to go with Openocd to flash the binary into the uC or is there a simpler way to use JLink Software beside buying a "not for hobby priced" Jflash?
      Oh yes, there are:
      segger.com/products/debug-prob…-for-development-purposes

      Noy wrote:


      Maybe it is possible to add a EDU Licence where you can use Jflash once every 5 minute or 15 or 60 minutes? Would be great or maybe im missing the correct use..?
      No plans to do something like that.


      Noy wrote:


      And are STM8 now supported? And if not why? Hardware should be capable or ? And Software is also ready you got them in your STM8 flasher or?
      See PIC 16 / 18 / dsPIC33 explained above.


      BR
      Alex
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

      Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

      Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • Thx for your reply Alex but i have still some questions:

      SEGGER - Alex wrote:

      The V10 is in the maintenance period. So bugfixes will be added but no new features.
      Ok, but whats the difference in hardware, are there some other downsides additionaly to "no new features" i ask because if i order a new JLink EDU and i get a V10 or maybe i can purchase a used V10 are there other disadvantages compared to a V11?

      And if i order a new JLink EDU from one of your distributors will i get V11 or maybe an older V10? Do i have to ask every distibutor which version i will get?
      For german customers like me it looks like there is no distributor which sells EDUs / has one available?
      In the distributor list Segger Germany is listed but there is no EDU in your webshop and otherwise only Rutronik looks like they are selling EDUs but it's on allocation..and Hitex or AK Modul Bus aren't listing Jlinks EDUs or other Jlinks.

      SEGGER - Alex wrote:

      No plans for PIC16 / 18 /33 / ... debug support right now.
      ICSP for PIC32 is different from ICSP from PIC18 / 33 / ... (Microchip just calls it ICSP on all platforms but they are actually different protocols).
      The complete debug logic and core infrastructure is different between all the cores.
      We are talking about months of work here for a very low paying customer base. (Do not count the EDUs as these do not pay salaries but are more a charity project for SEGGER).
      Thanks for this information didn't know that it is the same name but totally different things.
      But i think PIC16/18/24/33 and Atmel AVR, STM8 is not a "very low paying customer base" these 8bit devices are still used in huge quantities (white goods and so on) and Microchip is one of the biggest companys in the microcontroller world.

      Sure EDUs aren't paying your salaries, i know how much our "Lauterbach" has cost at my work ;-), but if your'e adding support for these still often used micros (PIC16/18/24/33 and Atmel AVR, STM8) a lot of other professional companys would probably buy "paying your salaries" Jlinks / Segger Devices.

      Sure i know how much man months / work / money would go into supporting this additional devices but currently there is not a single programmer (every micro needs another programmer is really annoying) which can support all these in huge quantities used devices..

      And for STM8 you already have the "code"..

      But sure your decision / company usp so no further discussion from me, just a "maybe think about it again" ;)



      SEGGER - Alex wrote:

      Oh yes, there are:
      segger.com/products/debug-prob…-for-development-purposes

      No plans to do something like that.

      thanks for pointing me to this will try it. And sure with this information there is no need for the "Jflash once every 5 minute or 15 or 60 minutes" thingy :)
    • You are mixing things here….
      First, you asked for debug support, now, in your latest post, you are referring to production programming.
      These are 2 totally different things.

      Production programming:
      The easier part. You do not have to mess around with various specifics of the device. No caches, less silicon bugs, … that can come into play. As you might have noticed, we already support a lot of ATMega, PIC16, PIC18, … devices with our Flasher PRO production programmer.

      Debug support:
      Much more work and much more support intensive than production programming. More complex setups, more complex support cases, lots of cases you need to cover, explain how to debug them, …

      While I agree that there a companies that buy millions of chips from Microchip, this does not mean that theye are buying millions of J-Links.
      For many of these projects, there is no active development, or they already have their tools or they are only interested in 2-3 J-Links.
      It is the production that pays the salaries here and this is why we have production programming support…
      This is what most people do not understand.
      Big customer for vendor X does not mean a big J-Link customer for SEGGER.

      STM8:
      No, we do not have the code. We have the code to program it, not for debugging it.
      As you might have noticed, there is only. a Flasher for STM8, no debug probe, in our portfolio.
      Please read the forum rules before posting.

      Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

      Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • Hi Alex, sorry you are right i mixed it up.
      In my "world" (hobby projects) my PICKIT3 / JLink is for debugging and programming (thats why i wrote programmer but i meant debugger)

      In companys which are programming in production its probably different (we are using Linux based devices, so we do not use flash programmer like Jlink in our production)


      So last question which is open, is the one regarding difference between V10/V11 beside "no new features" and where i can get a V11 EDU in Europe / Germany from..