[SOLVED] Ozone v3.22 to v3.22e freezes when opening some .elf files

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Ozone v3.22 to v3.22e freezes when opening some .elf files

Another v3.22 bug report:

Here is an example of an elf file that causes v3.22 to hang, and eventually crash.

dropbox.com/s/jj11xzusd4iz56q/main.elf?dl=0

To reproduce:
    1. Start Ozone, any version from v3.22 to v3.22e.
    2. Open a project, or start a new one, it doesn't matter. Doesn't matter if a J-Link or J-Trace is attached or not.
    3. Select "File > Open"
    4. Choose this elf file.
    5. The cursor will turn to a spinning beach-ball and Ozone will hang for a very long time (forever?)

The .elf file is valid and has been used on production units. Last year, I used earlier versions of Ozone to debug units flashed with this same .elf file. I've tried re-compiling with some minor variations in compile flags but it still hangs.

Ozone v3.20e opens it fine, no problems. Also on v3.10c it opens fine.
    But v3.22, v3.22a, v3.22b, v3.22e it will hang.

Thanks
    Dan
  • Hello Dan,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    That sounds odd indeed.
    I just gave it a try with V3.22e on my Windows dev PC and for me it was working as expected:

C Source Code

1. File.Open: completed in 532 ms
    2. Cannot break at symbol "main": symbol address could not be determined.
    3. Invalid startup completion point "main": symbol address could not be determined.
    4. Debug.ReadIntoInstCache: updated instruction information within 2 code ranges (0x00000000-0x0800EFC4)
    Ozone complains that no main symbol was found and obviously the referenced source files. But it definitely does not crash for me.

What host OS are you running on exactly?
    Do you see this behaviour with other PCs as well?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I'm using macOS Big Sur (11.2.3). And it happens also on my macbook, same OS. I tried adding a stub symbol for main() but it still crashes. Also that error might just show up for you because the default Ozone settings are to break at the symbol "main". In this project we break at Reset_Handler, but that shouldn't matter (shouldn't cause Ozone to freeze).

Also, if I set up the Ozone project with a J-link log file (using the New Project Wizard), and then open the .elf file, all that's in the log file is this:

T54A6000 064:670.003 SEGGER J-Link V6.98c Log File
    T54A6000 064:670.639 DLL Compiled: Mar 16 2021 12:19:30
    T54A6000 064:670.653 Logging started @ 2021-05-07 17:45
    T54A6000 064:670.678 - 64670.684ms
  • Hello,

Thank you for clarification.
    I just gave this a spin on a macBook with the same Big Sur version and the issue was reproducible.
    We will investigate further and fix it accordingly.

The "main symbol not found" message should have no impact here.

For completion, what kind of macBook are you using? Intel based, or M1?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Thomas,

Currently we can't name any fixed estimate as we have to find the cause yet. But if it is no special undocumented issue with Big Sur a fix should be available in the next 1-2 weeks.
    If it is something more complex where we first have to inquire Apple support, it might take longer.

Best regards,
    Nino