[SOLVED] nRESET as Input/Output

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] nRESET as Input/Output

Hi,

In the J-Link user guide, the nRESET is listed as an I/O.

I am just not clear what it means by I/O. I believe it is an output from the segger? Why is it listed as I/O?

Furthermore, is this signal open drain or driven high?
  • Well, it is marked as an I/O because it is an I/O.
    J-Link can drive it LOW and J-Link can release it and read the pin level.
    The pin is open drain.

Input makes sense because there may be a reset button on the target HW that may be pushed asynchronously to J-Link.

On some MCUs like the NXP Kinetis series, the reset pin is also an output of the MCU where it can be driven LOW if the MCU is reset by software, running on it.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Well, it is marked as an I/O because it is an I/O.
    J-Link can drive it LOW and J-Link can release it and read the pin level.
    The pin is open drain.

Input makes sense because there may be a reset button on the target HW that may be pushed asynchronously to J-Link.

On some MCUs like the NXP Kinetis series, the reset pin is also an output of the MCU where it can be driven LOW if the MCU is reset by software, running on it.

Thank you, Alex! That makes perfect sense.
  • Hi,
    As this inquiry is resolved, we will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.