[SOLVED] Using Ozone trace features with J-Link flashed on ST-Link

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Using Ozone trace features with J-Link flashed on ST-Link

Greetings everyone,

I am wondering if it is possible to use Ozones trace features (timeline, code coverage...) with a reflashed ST-Link to a J-Link.
    In my example, I am using a nucleo-F767ZI board from ST. The on-board ST-Link has been reflashed. Everything works fine in Ozone
    except from the trace features. The instruction trace always says "Instruction trace disabled". As I read in this forum, SWO is not enough to
    use this trace. For that I need trace pins or trace buffer. Unfortunately, the trace pins of the F767 are not connected to the onboard ST-Link.

My question is, when using an external, reflashed ST-Link and connecting to the corresponding 5 trace pins, is the reflashed J-Link firmware capable
    of using the trace pins or is this only possible with a J-Trace Pro. In addition higher boards like the STM32H7 series feature ETF to be used as trace buffer.
    In that case, can I use a reflashed ST-Link for tracing via buffer?

With best regards
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    A reflashed ST-Link has only capabilities for tracing via trace buffer.
    You can find an example project for the H7 buffer trace here:
    wiki.segger.com/STM32H7#Tracing_on_ST_STM32H743

Pin tracing will never work as the ST-Links are simply way to slow and have no dedicated hardware to sample the trace pins with the required high speeds.
    For pin tracing a J-Trace Pro is required:
    segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-trace/

Best regards,

Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.