[SOLVED] Context menu slow to respond to mouse, and menu items with no icon are wrong height (macOS Big Sur)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Context menu slow to respond to mouse, and menu items with no icon are wrong height (macOS Big Sur)

Hi, a few more issues with Ozone in macOS Big Sur. I'm using an 8-core i7 iMac 2019, with 40GB RAM and I've tested this with no other applications running except Ozone. I've also have the same issue on a 8-core i9 Macbook Pro, which is also on macOS BigSur.

1) When moving the mouse over a context menu (the pop-up menu that displays when you right-click somewhere), the highlighting of the menu items (based on where the cursor is), has a very slow response to mouse motions.
    Please see the attached short GIF to understand what I mean. It makes it hard to select an item, as one has to move very slowly, and the sub-menus sometimes are even more difficult to navigate.

This slowness started happening in Ozone v3.20. It does not happen in Ozone v3.10j (which is the most previous release to v3.20). The slowness continues to happen in every version I've tested after v3.20, including v3.20e, v3.22, v3.22a, and v3.22b (latest).
    The top-level menus (Menu bar at the top of the screen) are slower than normal macOS menus, but it's tolerable and not as slow as the context menus.
    Other mouse actions (clicking a row in a table, scrolling, etc) do not seem to be slower, it's only the context menus, as far as I've noticed.

This happens on all the context menus that I've found, on all windows.
    It does not matter if a debugger is attached, or running, or even if I have a project open. Every context menu behaves the same.

2) As you can see in the GIF above, some of the menu items text is cut-off (top few rows of pixels are not displayed). Other menu items look normal. It looks to me that the menu items that have icons are the correct height, while the items that do not have icons are cut off. In fact, I believe this is true across all context menus in Ozone.
    This menu item height issue started in Ozone v3.10 (it pre-dates the slowness bug #1 which appears in v3.20)
    Here are some images:

• Just going to open a similar thread (I checked yesterday but there wasn't anything related on the forum), I'm facing the exact same issues as @danngreen.

I've also tried v3.10j as @danngreen suggested, but I still face the same slow response on context menu behaviours.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rflmota ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    There are some known issues with Ozone and macOS big sur.
    Unfortunately the macOS libraries did not stay backwards compatible to Catalina, which is most likely also causing the issues you are seeing here.

A fixed version is planned to be released soon.
    To get notified when the new version releases you can subscribe here:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=178,7

Once the version is release could you give it a try and see if the same issue still appears?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Dan,

can you confirm this is working now with the latest Ozone version?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,
    Unfortunately the issue remains the same with Ozone v3.22e. Both issues:
    #1) Context menus are very slow to respond to mouse movements
    #2) Menu item text is cut-off whenever an menu item does not have an icon

With regards to this issue, I notice no difference at all between v3.22b and v3.22e.

I also tried changing the Application Font to see if that would fix it (thank you for fixing that!). However it doesn't seem to change anything. Attached are more screen shots from v3.22e. The slowness of response is most troublesome, it makes using the application difficult and cumbersome.

• Any news about this? v3.22e changelog says nothing about fixes for menu display, or slow menu response.

Are there plans to fix it? The slow menu response at least would be great. We can live with cutoff text in the menus I suppose.

thanks
    Dan
  • Hello,

We can confirm that the issues persists. We are investigating further.
    Keep you posted.

Best regards,
    Nino