[ABANDONED] "Active read protected STM32 device detected" on STM32L4+ Discovery kit IoT node

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] "Active read protected STM32 device detected" on STM32L4+ Discovery kit IoT node

I am trying to run Amazon FreeRTOS demo on STM32L4+ Discovery kit IoT node, but getting the "Active read protected STM32 device detected" message. If I choose to perform an unlock, the code ends up in HardFault_Handler. So in both cases, whether if I choose to perform the unlock or not, I cannot see the MQTT messages in the AWS console.
    Have not made any local modifications to the code except the needed credentials.

I am using J-Link V6.98

Attaching what I think is the JLink log
    Files
    • jlinklog.txt

(2.66 kB, downloaded 287 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by evgesha ().

• Whatever log file you sent here, it is not the one from the failing session.
    There is no device selected, no application download, ... visible in the log file.
    There is just a connect to J-Link (not to the target MCU) and start of RTT in the log file you sent.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,
    please note that this is not a support forum, and the response time of our team usually varies between 1 day and 1 week.
    This is because the forum is maintained by the SEGGER developers directly, so response time is depending heavily on the current

tasks and projects.

If you have a J-Link in valid support period (1 year) or if you want to report a bug,
    you can also contact us via our Ticket System for future requests.
    If you would be interested in refreshing this support period, we would suggest to make use of our J-Link trade in program:
    segger.com/purchase/trade-in-program/

Regarding your inquiry:

In your log file, you have selected an STM32L475VG, this is not an STM32L+ device, but a "regular" STM32L.

That is why in the log file, the following is reported:

"STM32 (Protection Detection): Unexpected IDCODE DEV_ID 0x 470 found. Only checking the 1st flash bank for write protection."

The STM32L4+ Discovery kit IoT node has a STM32L4S5VIT6 mounted on it:
    st.com/en/evaluation-tools/b-l4s5i-iot01a.html

This is a different core that has to be treated differently regarding connect and unlock.

Question:
    Does everything work as expected when selecting the correct device (STM32L4S5VI)?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Sorry about that, I thought the project should already have the correct chip version selected.

After switching to the suggested chip, the code progresses further but still cannot connect to MQTT broker.

I do see:
    Write failed @0x08064800, read value=0x00000000, expected=0x2d2d2d2d
    Error writing 2048 bytes at 0x08064800

Should I be worried