[ABANDONED] J-Link EDU with ARM9

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] J-Link EDU with ARM9

Hi, I have two debuggers: J-Link Base 10.1 and J-Link EDU 11.0. The first one (Base) works more or less fine, but the second (EDU) displays a message box:

"ETB selected as trace source, but current device does not have an ETB"

The eval board is TI LCDK OMAP-L138 (2 cores: ARM9 (arm926ej-s) and DSP).
    IDE: IAR 8.5

Firmware was updated using J-Link V6.98 drivers.

How can I disable these messages since they make debugging impossible (with EDU)? These messages appear every time a line of code is executed.
    Why debugger behavior is different?
  • Feature-wise both J-Links should be detected identically by IAR.
    Is it possible that you enabled trace in your project options or in one of the windows in IAR you have open?
    Sounds like IAR is trying to make use of trace in your project.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, I use tracing periodically. I have attached an example of working with the J-Link Base 10.1.

"but current device does not have an ETB" - this is not true. J-Link Base detects its presence. As far as I can see, the IDE plugin automatically detects the use of this buffer. I have not found how to manage this.
    Images
    • iar.jpg

968.57 kB, 2,068×1,882, viewed 194 times
    • arm9 etb.jpg

446.3 kB, 1,187×1,555, viewed 189 times
  • Strange...
    Can you provide the project?
    We would like to reproduce and check this.
    I think we have the same board in house. Otherwise, we would order it.
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, I can provide a project. I will try to create a minimal project that demonstrates the same behavior.
    This is an old device. And maybe now it is too old and not fully supported?

The picture below shows the debugger (Base) working in a different IAR version.
    In the meantime, you can try to create a simple project in the IAR yourself using templates. I have attached a linker configuration file(.icf) for this device (TI OMAP-L138).
    Images
    • iar arm 7.8 (j-link base 10.1).jpg

630.78 kB, 1,727×1,702, viewed 182 times
    Files
    • test.7z

(632 Byte, downloaded 180 times, last: )
  • I resolved the messaging issue by disabling IDE tools: Function Profiler and ETM Function Trace. Now J-Link EDU 11 debugger works, but without these features. I have attached a boot log in debug mode and test project for iar 7.5.

It turns out that debugger functionality is not the same for my case.
    Images
    • iar 7.8 j-link edu 11.jpg

656.72 kB, 1,717×1,581, viewed 157 times
    Files