[SOLVED] JLinkExe v6.96 and -nogui

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLinkExe v6.96 and -nogui

Just installed JLinkExe v6.96 on 64-bit Ubuntu 20.04 to test it out. On first run it rendered a graphical dialog. I'd like to be able to ensure that these don't occur. We version control our full toolchain and script our compile/build/test operations using containers. This ensures a necessary level of audit, repeatability (in time and across developers), and change management. This toolchain container doesn't have any graphical support.

The PDF manual shows the -nogui command. The forum documents "-nogui 1" but the user manual in JLink_Linux_V696_x86_64.deb is for v6.87b (per the cover page) and does not document options for -nogui.

What are the options for -nogui?

A forum post says there are some dialogs that are mandatory. Rather than force them when -nogui is present, why not exit with an error message instead? This seems more in line with the idea of -nogui. If that error is seen, the developer would know they need to fire up jlink interactively without -nogui to service the requested interaction.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Hi Steve,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

To activate the "NoGUI"-mode you would have to pass -NoGUI 1 as command line parameters.
    Please note that there is no other value specified. This is also documented here:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Commander#-NoGui

smckown wrote:

why not exit with an error message instead? This seems more in line with the idea of -nogui.
    Unfortunately, it is not that simple.

One of the mandatory dialogs is the J-Link EDU license dialog.
    With the handling you suggest the J-Link Commander would be hard to use with J-Link EDU (mini) + "-nogui 1" option.
    You would have to:
    1) Start the J-Link Commander normally
    2) Accept the license agreement + don't ask again for today option
    3) Start the J-Link Commander with -noGUI 1 option set.
    Even though it would be more compliant to the mindset of a "-nogui" option,
    it would most likely cause more questions on customer side.

I will raise this topic once more in our next internal meeting, but I cannot promise that we will change this behavior in the near future.

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

I know the answer to this might be "because it costs time (and thus money) and the use case is not wide-spread enough to invest in this" but I ask nevertheless. ;)

Why not making a command-line license agreement? It's quite common in the Linux world seen from nvidia, vmware and such. That way -nogui could be with no gui cleanly.

Cheers
  • Because J-Link might be used in environments like Eclipse where we have zero control about where our standard output ends up and if where is any stdin at all.

BR
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• But .. Eclipse would not start it with the -nogui option.

The suggestion for the command-line license agreement was meant for the -nogui option only.

Cheers
  • Hi,
    Unfortunately it is not that simple.

What you say is currently true, but there is no guarantee that
    this will always be the case for any (new) IDE implementing J-Link support in such a way.
    We can not control what any third party organization does and
    it would most definitely cause a lot of questions in our support channels in such a case.

Another problem would be that it is hard to make sure people actually have to accept the license.
    Connection from IDEs or other third party tools could just accept the license via a script, without notifying the user.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi,

I understand the point and since the "yes" tool was basically developed for agreeing to anything that is prompted for, it's likely people would come to that idea.

But I actually did not want to hijack this thred from the original poster but just state my opinion on the -nogui option. :)

Cheers
  • Hi,
    All good.

Feedback from our customers helps us a lot with improving our products and
    is therefore very welcome.

As all questions seem to be answered in detail, we will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian