[SOLVED] J-Link firmware upgrade fails every time when run from Ozone

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link firmware upgrade fails every time when run from Ozone

Hi,

when I upgrade the J-Link package (and select to upgrade all DLLs in the installer) and after that start Ozone and try to debug an application, a dialog appears telling me that there is a newer firmware for the connected J-Link. When I select to upgrade the J-Link firmware, that upgrade fails. After that, when trying to Debug again, another dialog appears telling me the J-Link has no firmware and needs to be flashed. The flashing then works as expected and everything works fine.

The initial flashing fails. I could see that for every version I have updated for the last year or so. This happens on Windows 10 with two different J-Link.

Any idea what's going on?

Cheers
  • Hi,

the FW update is independent from the IDE / debug environment you are using.
    Before an FW update is released, it goes through an internal test that it updates to that version correctly and it is also verified that a forced downgrade is still possible.

Do you use any USB Isolators etc. between your J-Link and PC?
    Which J-Links (S/N) do you see that problem onto?

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

the J-Links are connected directly to the laptop via the original USB wire. No isolator or hub is used.

One of the J-Links was just sent in for other reasons, so no serial number there. Not sure if it is OK to post the serial number of the other one here, so maybe it is enough information that the J-Links were both purchased at the beginning of 2020? If not I can send you the serial number via PN, or so.

I tried to make a video of the process but the Microsoft Game Bar video thingy only recorded one window and not the whole screen, so all dialogs were missing.

We will receive new J-Links soon. I guess they will need an upgrade on arrival. I hope I can make that video then.

Cheers
  • Hi,

with the newly purchased J-Link Pro (v5.0A 21-05) I cannot reproduce the problem. It performed two updates flawlessly.

The "old" J-Link Pro (v4.5 20-09) still showed that error in both updates. Maybe you could check with the 4.5 revision?

Meanwhile, I gave that v4.5 J-Link to my colleague, he does not do updates anyway. ;)

Cheers
  • Hi,
    I tried to reproduce this issue unsuccessfully.

Setup:
    - A range of different J-Links (including J-Link Pro V4.5)
    - A range of J-Link Software/FW versions.

What I did:
    - Update the J-Link to one of the FW versions before the most recent
    - Power cycle J-Link
    - Update the J-Link to the most recent version by connecting to it via Ozone.

As already explained by Alex:
    1) The process of updating the Firmware is not connected to the specific Tool but to the J-Link DLL and is done exactly the same way for all our tools.
    2) We test the FW update behavior of all J-Links that are still in support and/or maintenance period after each change of the Firmware. This includes the J-Link Pro V4.5.
    None of the J-Link Pros failed this test even once in the last year.
    3) No other customer has pointed out such an issue to us.

This leads us to the conclusion that the issue is either
    - connected to your host PC (which is weird, as this issue is only occurring for the J-Link Pro V4.5 and not for J-Link Pro V5)
    or
    - connected to this specific J-Link (which is also weird as we would expect it to fail the FW update every single time).

Did you ever try another J-Link Pro V4.5 on your host PC?
    Does this issue also occur on another PC, with this specific J-Link?

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

thanks for your explanations.

I had that problem with every upgrade with one J-Link Pro v4.5.
    With another J-Link Pro v4.5 I only made one upgrade but that also failed on first try.

With the J-Link Pro v5 the problem seems gone. Two upgrades so far without any problem.

That's why I suspected the v4.5 to be the culprit.

This was all on one laptop.

My colleague now uses the v4.5. He does not do updates, so no field data there. ;)
    In home office times I also cannot just grab his J-Link for quick testing.

For me this case is:
    1) not _that_ important since the upgrade succeeded in the second go
    2) not relevant anymore since the v5 works fine so far.

I just wanted to let you know hoping that the additional info would be helpful in cornering the issue. Weird that you cannot reproduce this even sometimes. ... Maybe it's something on my laptop after all.

If I can observe anything else, I will let you know.

Cheers
  • Hi,
    Good to hear that everything works as expected with the J-Link Pro v5.

Thank you for your efforts in helping us to improve our products.
    It is much appreciated.

In case you or your colleague (should he ever change his mind regarding updates) encounter this issue again, feel free to contact us. :)

We will close this thread for now.

Best regards,
    Fabian