[SOLVED] JTrace keeps reflashing/upgrading itself without confirmation and I have no idea how to stop it

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JTrace keeps reflashing/upgrading itself without confirmation and I have no idea how to stop it

I noticed this message at least 3 times this week:

Source Code

1. Updating firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Jul 21 2020 10:35:03
    2. Replacing firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Jul 14 2017 BTL
    3. Waiting for new firmware to boot
    4. Connecting to J-Link via USB...Updating firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Jan 7 2020 16:54:03
    5. Replacing firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Jul 14 2017 BTL
    6. Waiting for new firmware to boot
    7. FAILED: Communication timed out: Requested 4 bytes, received 0 bytes !

Also I have no idea what causes it, is it Ozone, JLink Commander or something else? Nevertheless there was never any confirmation.

The firmware I bought it with worked fine, but the intermediate upgrades had some weird bugs, which are hard to report if it randomly upgrades and disconnects at random moments (like in the middle of trace). Currently it stopped at "Firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Nov 12 2020 10:10:59".
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

The J-Trace you use seems to be trapped in bootloader mode.

Could you please try the following:
    - Download the latest version of the J-Link Software and Documentation Pack Pack.
    - Install Pack. While installation, confirm to update all J-Link DLLs when asked (this includes Ozone).
    - Open the J-Link Commander (JLink.exe) and connect to your J-Trace. This should happen automatically, if it is the only device connected.
    - Wait for the J-Trace FW Update to finish.
    If this does not solve the issue, please try to use another USB Cable + PC and repeat the steps above.

Does this solve the issue?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, it seems that reflashing loop stopped.

However for future it would be best if it was possible to flash a specific version of firmware (from JLink Commander for example, from a FW image file). Forced upgrade without possibility of downgrade is always gamble.
  • You have the possibility to downgrade (see UM08001 which explains how to do it).
    However, in your case, it looks like something inhibits further FW replacement (no matter if a new or an old FW shall be flashed).
    So even your “recommendation for the future” would not solve anything here.

BR
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Alex wrote:

You have the possibility to downgrade (see UM08001 which explains how to do it).
    However, in your case, it looks like something inhibits further FW replacement (no matter if a new or an old FW shall be flashed).
    So even your “recommendation for the future” would not solve anything here.
    Currently the FW stopped at "Firmware: J-Trace PRO V2 Cortex-M compiled Feb 2 2021 16:39:38" which I'd guess is relatively very recent. What would prevent other FW replacement, including downgrade?

EDIT: I can't find any explanation on how to downgrade JTrace FW in UM08001.
  • Hi,
    You can find Info in the UM08001 PDF under Chapter 19 (Background information) -> 19.5 J-Link / J-Trace firmware -> 19.5.2 Invalidating the firmware.
    or in the wiki version here:
    wiki.segger.com/UM08001_J-Link…_/_Replacing_the_firmware

We will close this thread now-

Best regards,
    Fabian